Forum Discussion

5 years ago

One-sided & uneven Relationships, please!

It's very unrealistic that two people in any sort of relationship (friendship, family, romantic... etc.) will always have the same exact level of friendship and love for one another.

I keep trying to create families with varied dynamics, and it's very difficult to manage with the way Relationships are currently set up.

In the real world there are families where a parent loves their kid, but the kid really doesn't get along their parent, and visa versa. There are relationships where one person feels like they are best friends with someone who in return actually doesn't really like them back as much.

I feel like there would be so much more variation in game play if Sims' relationships had opportunities to be unbalanced or more one-sided to create a dynamic story and gaming experience!

What do you think? If this is something you'd like to see integrated into Sims game play, let's spread the word and see if we can get the Gurus attention!
  • I've been asking for non-mutual relationships for ages... I tried asking for a mod for them too but there isn't any that I could find. I have so many story lines that would be way better with them. I hope it's considered one day.
  • Would there be a type of relationship attached to this like fake friends,
    , one sided love or would you prefer to know it isn't mutual after you marry them or invite them to your household?
  • "chons95;c-17477157" wrote:
    Would there be a type of relationship attached to this like fake friends,
    , one sided love or would you prefer to know it isn't mutual after you marry them or invite them to your household?

If it was one-sided romance it could be labelled as "crush" but that wouldn't work in the parent/child situation. I have a child storyline where she hates her stepmum but her stepmum is actually really fond of her... it's really hard to play this file cuz the relationships ddon't work like that in the game.

My other one is a guy who has a crush on his roommate and she sees him as just a friend (bestfriend, but just a friend). I'd say that the relationship there could add "crush" for him, but sometimes it'd could be a totally diff situation that crush wouldn't work and might not aways have a relationship attached
  • I never played TS2, but I remember someone said it was a thing back in TS2. The mutual relationship feels so unrealistic but I guess they didn't make a one-sided relationship because the coding is too complex and cost too much time.
  • "Andyzhang2896;c-17477578" wrote:
    I never played TS2, but I remember someone said it was a thing back in TS2. The mutual relationship feels so unrealistic but I guess they didn't make a one-sided relationship because the coding is too complex and cost too much time.

Kinda anyways. You had to really work hard to keep it that way in Sims 2 and it kept trying to equal out but it could be done. I wouldn't like a Sims 2 style one though in Sims 4... I don't really like the relationship system from that game. I THINK there was a way to mod it to be easier but I never used mods in Sims 2 so can't be sure on that anymore.