Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Question About Foundations and Fences

I noticed on the gallery some lots have homes with a foundation that is 2-3 levels high and then fences that are at ground level, how do they do that? It seems whenever I build a house with a foundation, and then try to put up a fence on the outlying parts of my lot I end up with a fence with a foundation under it. I've tried knocking out the floor and what have you, and while it puts the floor at ground level the fencing itself still has a foundation under it. I am really curious how the house foundation and no foundation fence combo is accomplished, because I can't for the life of me figure it out. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Have fun :)!
  • It seems to me fences don't make foundations themselves, but do when you drag from a wall. So start at the other end and go towards the wall.
  • Hmm, JBear1 I've tried making fences that aren't even attached to the walls of a house with a foundation and they end up with a foundation under them, hence why I am so puzzled by this. Clearly I am missing something here.

• I tried to post some pictures to show what I'm talking about, but apparently I haven't been around long enough to post image links. Kinda silly.

It doesn't matter if I used the room tool or the single wall tool, it doesn't matter if the "fence wall is connected to the house with a foundation or not, no matter where I place a wall that I intend to turn into fencing I end up with a foundation under it if the house has a foundation, and thus my fence ends up with a foundation as well.

• Thanks JBear1 you just made me take another hard look at the fencing options and I finally noticed the "place fence by drawing" tool. Finally I can build fences without foundations. Thanks so much!

• Ah yes, using these new square room tools is asking for trouble. I go manually old school all the way ;)
  • Ah. If you want a fence why are you placing a wall to turn into a fence. Just place a fence. Have fun ;)

Remember, old school.
  • I FIGURED IT OUT I FIGURED IT OUT!!!When on the fence tool there is a couple of options on the side click the one that looks like a sqaure then your fence wont have a foundation underneath!im so excited!!