Forum Discussion

atreya33
Seasoned Veteran
7 years ago

Witchcraft as a skill, not a life state

With the recent poll about supernaturals on twitter, I have been thinking a lot about witches. While I'm still dissapointed about the results of my favorites, werewolves and robots, I'd be happy to see witches/wizards return.

But to me it feels witchcraft/magic should be a skill. I don't think they need a dark form like vampires and aliens. I remember the ugly green skin in sims 2 and wanted a mod to get rid of them as soon as I saw them. But the biggest advantage would be witchcraft being available to vampires and aliens as well. Of all the supernatural themes, this is the one I feel we should be able to combine with other lifestates. The game has plenty of interactions and even objects which become unlocked at a certain skill level.
  • I dislike the idea... As the other person said it takes away the feeling of being an occult race if any sim can cast/practice witchcraft. Supernatural was amazing and in my opinion they should just bring it back but more detailed because it may just be me but i have barely seen any GPS or EPS transitioning into eachother aka every EP is seperate and vise versa with SPS and GPS. Supernatural had werewolves that would collect items witches could use to cure vampires of sunlight damage. A weather totem fron Season which they could use to control it. I think they screwed sims 4 up as a whole compared to sims 3 but that is irrelevant, witches should be an occult so that you feel connected to other occult members. Having an OP vampire running around casting spells is rediculous
    atreya33
    Seasoned Veteran
    "SimsLovinLycan;c-16602551" wrote:
    Here, here! Being able to use witchcraft and being, say, a werewolf should not be mutually exclusive! Besides, I'm sure there are some Patricia Briggs fans out there who want to properly create their favorite characters from her books in sim form...

(Also, I, too, voted for werewolves and robots in those darn polls. I know people want swimable oceans, but a high-quality treatment for robots would be way more interesting than mermaids...Plus, I don't want to have to wait, like, 8 more years for werewolves! They should come next after vampires, dang it!!)

Before the polls I had high hopes for werewolves coming soon. The werewolf statues and wolfsbane plants looked like hints to me.
  • "Thalmor;c-16603902" wrote:
    I don't know, if its open for any sim to be able to practice witchcraft it takes away the huge aspect of having another lifestate, which is what a lot of people want. I don't really want witchcraft to be open to just any sim, just imagine the townies practice magic wherever they want, I feel like it wouldn't fit well in the worlds. However with a lifestate (hopefully looking nice) you can have a select community of witch sims which in comparison to the normal sims would make having powers seem rare and interesting.

They can simply disable magic autonomy for townies/npc's unless it's a sim already created with the skill from the Gallery or something. I wouldn't mind magical NPC's so long as they're not the common flack about town too. In fact townies shouldn't be able to practice the skill at all so long as the way to practice said skill is locked away behind some other methods that townies/npc's can't do on their own, such as ordering certain things from the mail. Of course though if the skill comes in magic tomes there isn't a way to stop them from reading it and start learning the skill, so there should be other ways of handling that.

After all, Sims 4 aims to be "different" and try to introduce new concepts of previous game content and this would be something they'd do.
  • "Movotti;c-16609781" wrote:
    I'd like to see sorcerers (inborn magical ability) and hedge witches (learned magical ability)

A hedge witch is a healer, herbalist, dabbles in love potions and fortune telling, can also be a midwife.

A sorcerer has delusions of grandeur, can fly, can bewitch other items to be able to fly (brooms, vacuums, carpets). If you have cats and dogs, the sorcerer can not only have a familiar, but can also turn into a cat or dog.
    Sorcerers can be good, or evil, or neutral, and have an other self a bit like the vampires dark form. After all, a sorcerer is not human, they're something magical.

I like this idea.
  • I would like both. Maybe witches/wizards as a life state that works similar to the vampires with specific abilities and weaknesses, but also some skills normal sims and other occults can learn without them being a witch or wizard.

For example, give witches the ability to choose if they are good, bad or neutral like in TS2. They could also have the rank system like the vampires and are able to unlock some special abilities like turning sims into frogs for example and weaknesses like feeling guilty after cursing sims.

As for non-witches, there could be an alchemy skill which every sim can learn, however, witches learn it faster. The potions would be magical so every sim can use them either on themselves or others, much like the elixirs in TS3. There could also be an elixir that could turn sims into witches, which should be rather hard to make. It would also be funny if normal sims could use wands, but their magic would go wrong in a funny way because they are not magical.
  • I agree for the most part. I want it to be skills they develop that unlock new abilities or potions ect. I don't think we'd have to worry about townies maxing skills like this. They don't max or even touch many skills on their own.. like photography, programming or herbalism (there are more). I somehow doubt without a mod, or a club they would max skills like that on their own. If they make practicing magic superfun in the beginning then maybe townies will do it but it will probably take ingredients ect to even start leveling it.
    Of course we probably will have some NPC or townie witches placed in the game when the pack is released.
  • "Wittlemousee;c-16605375" wrote:
    I so agree!! I recently just made a witch inspired sim, and I am OBSESSED with her. However, I'd REALLY LOVE for there to be some "supernatural" type gameplay/careers added!!

I have not been into the supernatural sims style since literally sims 1, and even then, all it was for me personally, was I created a "goth" looking sim, and made her join the psychic career path. LOVED IT, so, recently, as in a few days ago, I made my witch sim, and I'm CRAVING some supernatural gameplay.

IE:
    Career Paths/Lifestyles
    Witches/Wizards
    Gypsy
    Psychic
    Fortune Teller
    Medium

PLEASE EA, PLEASE!!

Would be cool if the Gypsy Matchmaker was included too! I miss that Sims 2 feature!

"Huiiie_07;c-16610328" wrote:
    I would like both. Maybe witches/wizards as a life state that works similar to the vampires with specific abilities and weaknesses, but also some skills normal sims and other occults can learn without them being a witch or wizard.

For example, give witches the ability to choose if they are good, bad or neutral like in TS2. They could also have the rank system like the vampires and are able to unlock some special abilities like turning sims into frogs for example and weaknesses like feeling guilty after cursing sims.

As for non-witches, there could be an alchemy skill which every sim can learn, however, witches learn it faster. The potions would be magical so every sim can use them either on themselves or others, much like the elixirs in TS3. There could also be an elixir that could turn sims into witches, which should be rather hard to make. It would also be funny if normal sims could use wands, but their magic would go wrong in a funny way because they are not magical.

Maybe magic-born witches dont need to use wands, while humans do!

I want zombies to be a ressurection failure too. Maybe only high level + magic-born witches could be successfuly ressurect a sim!