Forum Discussion

paigeisin5
New Spectator
3 years ago

Can I use an external hard drive for this?

I bought a new gaming laptop and didn't get a chance to install Sims4 on it before the latest update that was released just before the new pack came out. To put it mildly, I do not want to deal with the issues included in that update as I do not plan on buying High School Years until it has been fixed. And who knows when that will happen.

My new laptop came with Windows11 and the laptop I currently have Sims4 installed on has Windows10. I am not sure if that will make any difference, though. My main question is can I copy my current Sims4 files to an external hard drive then play the game on my new laptop? I would do the research on this myself, but I have very little spare time right now. Part of our property was set on fire after a lightning strike on our neighbor's property caused a burning tree to fall on our property and we ended up losing almost an acre of trees and brush before it was extinguished. Cleanup has been a nightmare. We were extremely lucky the fire was contained to the back of our property and did not reach our outbuildings or home. Looking on the bright side, we now have a new view of the mountains behind us. :/

At one time I used an external hard drive to do this, but it was a long time ago and I haven't kept up with the advances that have happened in recent years. I don't want to do this twice as we have a lot going on and I really need some help. Thank you for taking the time to read this. And any help is appreciated. <3
  • You are able to use an external hard drive without any issue - you will most likely experience longer load screens however.
  • "Paigeisin5;d-1002756" wrote:
    Part of our property was set on fire after a lightning strike on our neighbor's property caused a burning tree to fall on our property and we ended up losing almost an acre of trees and brush before it was extinguished.

Good heavens @Paigeisin5 usually we try to confine this sort of thing to in-game...
    Glad you are all okay, and that the fire didn't go any further (especially these days).
    Hope life returns to normal soon.
  • Two summers of high temps and little rain has had a huge impact on us. But this was frightening to say the least. I use 'no fires' mods in my game because fires of any kind scare me to tears. We were very lucky first responders were on site fighting the fire on the neighbor's property when that tree fell onto ours. As it was, I had our kitties and a few personal possessions loaded into our motorhome in case we had to evacuate. And it will be nice when we get everything cleaned up and looking less like a warzone. Thanks so much for your kind words. It means a lot to us. <3
  • "Paigeisin5;c-18170889" wrote:
    Two summers of high temps and little rain has had a huge impact on us. But this was frightening to say the least. I use 'no fires' mods in my game because fires of any kind scare me to tears. We were very lucky first responders were on site fighting the fire on the neighbor's property when that tree fell onto ours. As it was, I had our kitties and a few personal possessions loaded into our motorhome in case we had to evacuate. And it will be nice when we get everything cleaned up and looking less like a warzone. Thanks so much for your kind words. It means a lot to us. <3

I'm so sorry for your troubles and am glad you, the kitties et al, are okay.
  • "Colton147147;c-18170719" wrote:
    You are able to use an external hard drive without any issue - you will most likely experience longer load screens however.

Not if you use an external SSD instead. I use one and my game loads very quickly.
  • @xitneverendss Thank you. I wondered if an SSD would be the better option. I'll try both and compare the loading times. :)
  • @GalacticGal Thank you for the kind words. <3 Our two kitties were quite shaken by the whole experience and are still wandering around sniffing the air. The smoke that infiltrated our house is still affecting their sense of safety, I think. Even though hubby and I can't smell it as much now I believe they can. And the ash from the fire will be in our yard until the next good downpour. It's truly unbelievable how much damage a fire can do even though it didn't reach our home. And with the heatwave we are having any cleanup has to be done early in the morning before ten or eleven. Then we have to come inside and do what we can with the interior. Nearly everything we own needs to be washed or cleaned by professionals. It's very hard watching teams of people carting our possessions out to trucks then taken away in the hope everything is salvageable. It will be weeks before we know the extent of the damages. Our insurance company has been wonderful and has assured us we're covered. That's a blessing because we were worried about that. Now that we have done as much as we can, there's nothing left to do except sit and wait. I always turn to the Sims to get me through tough times. And now that I have the computer room spiffied up and the computers cleaned, I guess it's time for me to take advantage of my forced downtime and play again. :)