Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Can we have these kind of ghosts back? (fear, scary music, scary interactions, deaths)

Hey guys,

I was recently watching a video about how long a sim can survive in a house full of ghosts in the Sims 2 and I realized how this would never work in the Sims 4 and how bad the Sims 4 ghosts actually are. If you watch this video, you'll actually get really creeped out by what the Sims 2 ghosts were capable of, the athmosphere and the music. This has no mods or anything whatsoever, this is just how ghosts used to behave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iEoZ9L8K44

You can see them turning on electronic devices at random, waking sims up, floating around creepily, startling Sims (which could result in death by fright), haunting objects. They literally do so many different creepy things and the music and sound effects really make this experience even better. In the Sims 2 when your house was haunted, it was HAUNTED!
Ghosts of old spouses also used to get angry and haunt their living spouse if he decided to marry another sim sometimes which was a cool detail.

Now I know a lot of people are like "no it's annoying, I don't want to deal with ghosts" but hear me out, first of all this is a game and it is supposed to be kind of challenging.
Also I think they could really change how ghost work and make it better for everyone. We could have the normal ghosts like they are but they could add a feature that allows certain ghosts (that maybe had a lot of enemies, or died angry or unfullfilled) to become grudge ghosts. These could be the only ghosts capable of haunting. So yeah just friendly and unfriendly ghosts depending on their personality and life experiences.
  • Yeah i know that the Sims has this odd obsession of being this happy, goofy, game. but I honestly I think the Sims 4 could afford to be a little more edgy. I personally would go in the direction of having supernaturals and Magic uh how does the song go? "When you believe in things that you don't understand, Then you suffer! superstition ain't the way!"
    That's why I want Ghost possessions. The possibility of my Spell caster sims Being able to summon/conjure spirits, and able to use their powers to protect themselves from their tricks. But if a human Conjures a ghost. they Know not what they do, and suffer the consequences. Getting possessed, Haunted, tormented.

There should be a little bit of edge and thrill. the good Kind tho, I hated when Burglars showed up and other break-ins and my Sim can't do anything to stop them, save call the cops, but I my sim can engage the invader... fight and win! and recover the item they tried to steal.
    I'd be happy.
    heh, The Poor fool who'd dare break in to my Mage's Castle to steal something. My mage will bare down the entire cosmos on the thief!
    My mage well the evil Mage, Daerick is the one who bares the line "I don't run from Daemons/Ghosts/Monsters, They run from me!"
    his Good twin brother, Kaegan, knows well enough not to deal with daemons and the rest, If he has to he will, but he will never willingly Look for trouble, Meanwhile Daerick casually Conjures Daemons on a monthly basis. I think it's comical really. Sometimes he's just bored... lonely, He's befriended a daemon or two.

Literally the One random quiet evening, close to midnight, Magic Hour in Charmont Castle:
    Kaegan is reading a book in his chambers with a Glass of Nectar, after a nice bath, and a good meal, winding down for bed.
    Kaegan, Hears the Gates of Hell opening in his older Brother's room across the Hall.
    "Daerick... I swear if you just summoned another Daemon in this house!?"
    "Maaaaaaaybe." >:) B)
    "Send him back."

But I think Fear should be a New emotion, and sims like my Mages, Kings, and Knights should be able to be feared. for various reasons, not just because they're super powerful, but because of their ambitions, and the shadows they cast.
    icemanfresh
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Meh, I played a legacy challenge with free roaming ghosts in TS2, and after a while it got annoying because ghosts would wake my sims up just to scare them. Eventually I decided to just send them all to a mausoleum

If they toned it down and maybe stuck to scaring awake sims, it might be okay
  • for the people that could get annoyed, and for the caring devs i present you something great, a gamechanger feature. a TOGGLE.
  • "icmnfrsh;c-17773758" wrote:
    Meh, I played a legacy challenge with free roaming ghosts in TS2, and after a while it got annoying because ghosts would wake my sims up just to scare them. Eventually I decided to just send them all to a mausoleum

If they toned it down and maybe stuck to scaring awake sims, it might be okay

@icmnfrsh Depends on how many ghosts you have. If you have like 20 graves in your lot then of course it makes sense that the ghost- scaring was a bit overkill. I found it cool that sims would wake up in the middle of the night because of a ghost. I always imagined they got up because they heard a noise and then saw the ghost.

I agree though that many times it got too much. Stuff like the radio getting turned on just happened to often in my game so that's something I would tone down.
    Lonewolf1044
    Seasoned Spectator
    The way I see it even if I barely play with ghosts but was glad to have the option, the more options you have in this game the more the better. I also support toggling options. I am not against a little horror but not above the top horror for Sims was never meant to be taken seriously in the beginning it was about having fun and seeing little people having some parody in their life and you get to help them.
  • Yesssssssssssss Georgie!!!!! This is the kind of scare I always wanted to see!!!!!! Nothing passing any ratings just genuine creepy scares!! Love the music and that ghosts are nothing to play with. Bet they won't call you up for dinner ?

Though the haunted lot with the new pack seems pretty creepy and I love the features I think the spectres, even the scary ones are a bit too mario child like. And I want a creepier looking doll.
    I will hold off judgment till I officially see how creepy it gets.
    But I don't think Ts4 would ever do it to this intensity. It's going for a whole nother vibe and as I said before the company gains by catering to young kids and adults. They would never put something they think might be too scary for kids. The sad but true reality ?
    And don't forget the complainers who would cry about how scary it is then they would have to nerf it?

I forgot who said it, maybe simgurulindsy?
    But that person literally said they wanted this game to be a safe space for young girls or something to that effect? That's why we have happy smiles and Roses ? we only have as much as we have because of all the begging for something more intense scary and grimy like the eco stuff
    LiELF
    Seasoned Veteran
    I'm so extremely grateful we're finally getting a Scared emotion. <3

But I do agree that the Sims 4 just doesn't seem to be a risk taker like the previous games were. It sometimes feels like players are being parented by what content we're "allowed" and how scary or disturbing it is (or isn't). But I think they should keep in mind that all great artists took risks and some of the most revered artists and innovators created controversies. (For example, H.R. Giger, who created the Xenomorph Aliens for the films had a style that was described as "nightmare" art. It is disturbing, horrifying, and scandalous but beautiful in a very strange and primal way. His art is just fascinating. I'm obviously a huge fan of his work. But it's definitely not for all ages.) Artists who take risks and stay true to what they want to accomplish and create for themselves or their own stories and not to please others are the ones who make a mark in the world and are remembered.

I've read so many tales of players who played earlier games and had adrenaline rushes when something untoward or frightening or unexpected happened in their games. Some even were young enough to cry or get upset at the time but still look back on it with fond memories because the moment was memorable. And I think that's what makes any creation stand out above others; how memorable it is and if it sticks with you mentally. When a player gets a physical reaction to a game, like a jump scare or anxiety for their Sims or a little distress, it doesn't suddenly make the game dangerous or a negative influence. It makes it memorable. It makes it exciting. And in a game where we watch little people going about their daily lives, working, eating, bathing, and doing so many mundane things...we need a little excitement. And that's what Will Wright could see when he invented The Sims. That failures, obstacles, fears and challenges are the things that will stand out. Adding a little suspense is what will keep a player riveted and coming back for more. And overcoming those moments (or reveling in them) with a little satire is what brings a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment and a sense of purpose. It's what we, in real life, can relate to and it gives us a special connection to a very unique kind of game.

So, again, I want to express my extreme gratitude for the Scared emotion. It is, to me, the largest missing element of this Sims game and I think it will make a big difference in shifting the game a little more toward that excitement and memorability. I can't thank the devs enough.