Forum Discussion

GypsyRozLyn
New Spectator
5 years ago

Collectibles so hard to find since Cats and Dogs EP

Ever since the Cats and Dogs EP - collectibles are a mess. There are not near as many as there used to be and many have been turned into those pet dirt dig spots that only have upgrade parts. The other thing is - I always used to be able to go back to the same spots later and the collectibles would re-spawn but many of them just disappear for good now. It is one thing to make it a bit more challenging than it was but my sim has spent weeks hoping from place to place (where I always found crystals and fossils before) and has yet to find the 5 crystals for the Collector aspiration! Even tried Salvadora! It is making this aspiration very frustrating. I so wish it would be changed back to the way it used to be - just have pet dirt dig spots in Brindleton Bay where the pets actually are. Or at least put actual collectibles in the pet dig spots and not upgrade parts (never understood that anyway - why did they not put like dog bones and pet toys and stuff a pet would want in those dig spots? Do not think any pet wants upgrade parts and neither do I!).
    GrumpyGlowfish
    Seasoned Newcomer
    As for the collectibles not respawning, I also noticed that, but I thought it only came with the patch before Realm of Magic (or at least that's when I started noticing it). A tip for the Collector aspiration: If you can't find any more crystals, fossils etc., just drag the ones you already have out of your sim's inventory and back, or let the sim pick them up again. The game will never know that you've collected those particular items before and will add them to the count. It may seem like cheating, but at the same time it isn't because technically you've already fulfilled the requirements of that milestone, the game just didn't register it.

The collection system as a whole seems to be broken, though. My Lara Croft has been to Selvadorada at least five times and completely raided those tombs of their artefacts and treasures every single time, yet her household inventory still claims she hasn't found any of the collectibles. It's just weird.
  • I'm sorry that you're having difficulty. :/ Still, I'm glad to know that something has finally been done about how easy the collection system is. I really disliked the way that it was so easy to find items. There was no adventure or sense of genuine discovery because everything was always in the exact same spot.

If what you're searching for is supposed to be very rare, then I'd say that the gameplay is just about right. Rare items should take a long time to find and require multiple visits to different places. Once you find them, it's meant to feel like an accomplishment. However, if the items are supposed to be more common, then there could be a problem with the tuning, perhaps? In that case, you may consider making a bug report.

I'm in complete agreement about the dog piles, though. It's odd that those spots have been chosen to drop upgrade parts. It would have been interesting to find more uncommon seeds there or something (barring that that doesn't already happen).