Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Counters aren't usable

Hi,

In my lot I have 2 kitchens. To get both of them to work, I had to rearrange or even just get rid of clutter.
But I actually don't understand why the clutter gets in the way, because I use alt to place the clutter individually and then I put the counter in it's place. So technically: the counter should be empty 'cause the clutter isn't snapped to a slot on the counter. Also I don't put the clutter in the way of the preparing area.

So I fixed one kitchen and in the other one it is just the roll of paper towels, standing in the upper corner of the counter (not snapped to a slot). My sim takes the food out of the fridge and goes all the way up to the other kitchen. When I stop them and I pick up the tray of the ground I can perfectly drag it to the slots on the counter. But my sim refuses to use the nearby counter as long as the roll is around.

I know the solution is practically get rid of the clutter, (just, no!) but I have the feeling that it used to work before.
What happened to the counters?!
  • I'm not 100% positive but if I had to guess, I would think it has to do with the footprints of the objects, every object has a footprint meaning the sims can't go thru that square, so even if you aren't snapping deco items to a slot that footprint is still there and covering up that counter tile making it unusable, it's the green square you see when placing items.

The only way to fix this would be to remove the footprints, which is fine for things that are sitting on a surface area (counter, table, shelf, etc), but by removing the footprint for things that would typically be placed on the floor ... sims would walk right through it because essentially there's no bounding box around the items to make them route around it. They'd just walk through it and then you'd have half the sims community up in arms about sims walking through objects and how immersion breaking it is.

Plus for some reason, EA thought it was a great idea to limit certain items to certain slots. So they the slots on surfaces are categorized as small, medium and large deco slots, meaning if an item is tagged as a large deco item, it will only snap to a large deco slot, even if visually the item is small and should theoretically fit on a shelf, if it is tagged as a medium or large deco item it will not fit on shelves, because shelves only have small deco slots.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.

33,105 PostsLatest Activity: 7 minutes ago