Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Dealing with phobias

I have coulrophobia. Some time ago I made a clown sim, really horrific looking. I coldn't play him because the way he looks. Now I'm trying again. He is evil, mean and insane and trying to start a career as a comedian. Sometimes I make him wear the Tragic Clown costume to make things harder for him and so that I could relate to him... feel bad for him. This way I'm trying to get rid of my phobia... be the creature that I fear...
So are there any other simmers out there who are dealing with their real- life problems using the game?
  • Yes actually omg. I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting) and while I'm used to Sims doing that now, I have to zoom out sometimes if I'm having a bad day (although the noise in sims 4 isnt so bad compared to other games). What's really testing me is the pets, I had full blown panic attack from seeing a pixel dog throw up the first time haha. I hate it but I suppose it's its own form of exposure therapy because I'm getting used to it, at least in pixels. The vets is awful though and I really can't do it when there's stuff all over the floor. I am a mess but I try.
    I love your way of tackling your fear with the game, I think it's a really good thing to be able to expose yourself to it in a way that you have control over
    XxAirixX
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I have pyrophobia; but I am only effect when near actual flames (candles, stove, fireplace, grill, etc..) than fire in the game itself (my sims cook and all that all the time while in real life I will get severe panic attacks being near the stove and only use the electric cooker). The fire in the game doesn't help me nor does it make it worse. Though if the game helps others in some way, go for it! Nothing wrong with using the game to help overcome some fears.
  • Well it's not a phobia but I sometimes in rl have problems with people. As in being around strangers and the keyword is strangers. I am what you english call an introvert and sometimes, annoyingly it translates into my games even online games where having contact with others is a must, like in Everquest II, WOW, Second Life, etc. I have been known to 'accidentally' log off in middle of conversation when things get too uncomfortable.

Now in Sims I have found I am on a pattern. My Sims don't have socialife much, especially after they have found a spouce and tend to stay at home. Don't even have many if any visitors.

For the last two months I have been trying to shake things up by having my Sims have a dinner party at home, go out on dates, answer yes to the random phonecalls, dragging the toddlers to the park and just go out jogging and say hi to strangers. There is a certain tall, pale dude in strange clothes that has been seen in the neighbourhood that has intrigued one of my Sims. Hm...

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,073 PostsLatest Activity: 2 hours ago