Forum Discussion

BissenNess
Seasoned Hotshot
2 years ago

Depth or Variety?

Some times DLC is criticized for being too focused on one specific aspect of game play (e.g. "They made an entire pack about vampires!?"). Other times, DLC is criticized for lacking depth (e.g."They spent all that effort on careers and festivals, but they couldn't make apartments that we could place?! And why do I have to go through a loading screen to visit the apartment next door?!").
I was reflecting on the difference between Sims 2 Open for Business and Sims 4 Get to Work. Open for Business only comes with a shopping district and game mechanics for running a business. Get to Work came with both of those things, along with aliens and three active careers. If the tables were turned, with Get to Work a Sims 2 DLC and Open for Business a Sims 4 DLC, Open for Business would probably have been excoriated by the Sims community as a shocking cash grab. All the same, I personally think Open for Business is the better expansion pack of the two because it has much more depth. What do you think? Would you rather see DLC that gives a thorough treatment to a specific theme or aspect of game play, or do you prefer DLC that provides a mix of features?