Forum Discussion

BissenNess
Seasoned Hotshot
2 years ago

Depth or Variety?

Some times DLC is criticized for being too focused on one specific aspect of game play (e.g. "They made an entire pack about vampires!?"). Other times, DLC is criticized for lacking depth (e.g."They spent all that effort on careers and festivals, but they couldn't make apartments that we could place?! And why do I have to go through a loading screen to visit the apartment next door?!").
I was reflecting on the difference between Sims 2 Open for Business and Sims 4 Get to Work. Open for Business only comes with a shopping district and game mechanics for running a business. Get to Work came with both of those things, along with aliens and three active careers. If the tables were turned, with Get to Work a Sims 2 DLC and Open for Business a Sims 4 DLC, Open for Business would probably have been excoriated by the Sims community as a shocking cash grab. All the same, I personally think Open for Business is the better expansion pack of the two because it has much more depth. What do you think? Would you rather see DLC that gives a thorough treatment to a specific theme or aspect of game play, or do you prefer DLC that provides a mix of features?
  • Reading through, I think I picked the wrong answer lol.

I do like that Eps can add an entire new gaming experience, and that indeed also includes some variety.

Then again, I feel depth should be the focus. Some of the ideas from EPs are great, but they are often implemented superficially, more like a try-out version. So I really do think depth is the way to go to.

For example, Eco Living has some really interesting features, adding more green or a different style to the neighborhood. Still, those options are easily exhausted and also are not integrated into any other world. I don't think it needed to be in every world, but it would have made sense for urban worlds like San Myshuno or Del Sol Valley. NAPs too feel like an unfished product, after a while you have so many with nothing else to do with it. I'd also say that style wise I would have loved going more into depth, than offering variety. And again two neighborhoods have this very suburban vibe, even though they offer some urban-ish vibe. Port Promise is an amazing neighborhood - to me - but its short on activities outside of the lot (no fishing, no food stalls, no BBQ or public toilets). Oh and my favorite EL-bb complaint, we didn't get those iron bar sprandels, not allowing us to build construction sites.

I feel variety should be seen as offering different packs for different in-depth ideas. If packs offer variety, than it will include something for almost everyone, but then also almost everyone will complain because many ideas will be implemented more superficially. Going more in-depth but with less variety might help people deciding on whether or not to purchase a pack in the first place.
  • For me, I feel that they should try and provide both depth and variety as much as they can, although I guess as game packs tend to focus on one niche subject, I can see why depth is best for those.
  • I was torn between the first option and "it depends on specifics" option. Because an EP does need variety, but if they give random things but don't give any of it depth then whats the point? It'll just end up shallow like the entirety of the HSY expansion. That pack has so much potential and gave different things, but none of it was dived into at all so it feels shallow and gets boring. I feel like there needs be to a good medium where EPs give some variety, but only where they have enough budget to then dive more into those things to give them some depth.
    ck213
    Seasoned Scout
    Game Packs: Depth.
    Expansion Packs: Variety.
    leo3487
    Seasoned Newcomer
    No vote but, it is the idea of GP
    EP: Variety
    GP: Depth

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,027 PostsLatest Activity: 7 minutes ago