Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Fireplace Question

Hi All, as my Sims season gets ready to transition from Fall to Winter... will one fireplace heat an entire house like a thermostat? Or should I use the small heaters from Snowy Escape in each room?
  • Only the thermostat will het the entire house. Heaters and fireplaces will bring the lot towards industrial.
  • There's a 10-square limit on the fireplaces, I think? If you've got a very large room, you'll need more than one.

You won't need one in the bath, as long as they're only going in there to get clean and get out - they're fine while they're in the bath. My Sim gets a little chilled when she bathes her toddler, but nothing life-threatening. And they don't need the fireplace once they're in bed, so if they're only using the bedrooms to sleep, they won't need a fireplace. Also, if you upgrade it to autolight, it will go out when they get into bed or leave the room.

Speaking of upgrades, I don't let my Sims use a fireplace until they have enough handiness (level 6, I think) to upgrade the fireplace with fire guard. Otherwise, you will have it catching fire. Frequently. (Even with fire guard, it can still cause a fire - my Sim kid decided to play the violin one square from the fireplace and ended up a bit toasted. Fortunately, her mother was able to extinguish her, but the violin was a loss.) Make sure the fireplace has brick or stone tiles around it, and that chairs are at least two squares back.
  • "invisiblgirl;c-18012267" wrote:
    Speaking of upgrades, I don't let my Sims use a fireplace until they have enough handiness (level 6, I think) to upgrade the fireplace with fire guard. Otherwise, you will have it catching fire. Frequently. (Even with fire guard, it can still cause a fire - my Sim kid decided to play the violin one square from the fireplace and ended up a bit toasted. Fortunately, her mother was able to extinguish her, but the violin was a loss.) Make sure the fireplace has brick or stone tiles around it, and that chairs are at least two squares back.

The same happens with space heaters. Make sure to place nothing nearby or it will catch on fire. I even had a ceiling light catch on fire from the space heater twice. It was not even a low-hanging ceiling light, but I guess the distance in terms of squares was not big enough between both objects. Something to keep in mind.
  • Thank you, everyone! Also, TY for the SIM-saving advice. I did wonder about the fire risk after I posted. LOL.
    bshag4lv
    Seasoned Scout
    All good advice! I upgrade my fireplace to Fireguard instead of autolight, in the summer I don't want my fireplace coming on during a heatwave. :D
  • "joRN1414;d-995536" wrote:
    Hi All, as my Sims season gets ready to transition from Fall to Winter... will one fireplace heat an entire house like a thermostat? Or should I use the small heaters from Snowy Escape in each room?

Get a thermostat. I keep the fires going nearly all 'year' round, because I like the atmosphere, but they don't keep my Sims warm, unless they're 'warming themselves' in front of the fire. Sad, but true. Even in my Ancestral save, set in the 18th century I've had to put in a thermostat just to keep my family for deceasing long before their 'time'.
  • oh, I forgot about the warm themselves option. I'm remembering so much now.
  • "GalacticGal;c-18012415" wrote:
    "joRN1414;d-995536" wrote:

Get a thermostat. I keep the fires going nearly all 'year' round, because I like the atmosphere, but they don't keep my Sims warm, unless they're 'warming themselves' in front of the fire. Sad, but true. Even in my Ancestral save, set in the 18th century I've had to put in a thermostat just to keep my family for deceasing long before their 'time'.

I think that's the space issue - I assume that Eric's got a rather large home. Mine do fine with only a fireplace, but I tend to build tiny houses.