Forum Discussion

GrumpyGlowfish
Seasoned Newcomer
7 months ago

For Rent: Roofing accident

One of my households needs more space in their rental, so I figured I'd make the roof a bit smaller to make the balcony bigger. But whenever I touch the roof, it gives me a red message saying, literally translated, "Not extended to operations". I don't even understand what that is supposed to mean in my own language.

https://i.ibb.co/cCwxT34/For-Rent.jpg

As you can see in the screenshot, accidentally making the roof bigger worked for some reason, but now I'm stuck with it covering part of the balcony, the game saved somehow and I can't undo it. The only thing I can do is delete the roof completely, but then I can't add a new one.

I remember reading somewhere that a unit's size can't be changed while it's occupied, but these people have decorated their place with all kinds of home-made stuff and I don't feel like moving them out and back in and redoing all the decoration. So is there a cheat or mod to fix this?
  • I never had any problems with roof/fence intersections. In fact, with balconies like this one that border directly on a roof, I tend to place (invisible) fences inside the roof to stop sims from walking through it because it doesn't technically have collision (which has never actually happened to me before, but we all know what this game is like). But anyway, turning MOO on or using the enablefreebuild cheat didn't help, unfortunately.

I found out there's two ways to enter a residential rental lot in Build Mode from the world map: One that lets you edit only one selected unit, and one that lets you edit the lot as a whole. The former method is the same as switching from Live Mode to Build Mode (i.e. useless in this case), the latter finally let me correct the roof and make the balcony more spacious. Unfortunately I couldn't assign any new space to the unit because it's occupied, but the occupants are the only ones who can get there by normal means, so it's fine for now. It still bothers me a little and I think there should be a cheat for that.
    rlc77
    Seasoned Observer
    If you entered build mode while playing the household, try entering build mode from manage worlds, or vice versa.
  • I see a fence there, and the game doesn't allow to intersect roofs with fences, maybe that's the issue? Try to turn moveobjects cheats on and see if you can place roof then.