Forum Discussion

SimMommy05
New Spectator
11 years ago

Funny Book Titles

Every Sims game has them. Have you spotted any funny titles in Sims 4 yet?

I've seen a few. The one that really caught my attention was a children's book that has to be a parody of "How I met Your Mother", it was called "How I Dumped Your Father." It gave me a nice little chuckle.
  • If I recall, The Glutton Spiel is another Hunger Games spoof. There are at least 2 or 3 others as well. The Bladder Games, for example. Some things got multiple parodies. Game of Thrones got a few. (Game of Groans, Musical Chairs: a Song of Hot and Cold, etc.) I think the bigger the fad, the more it got hit with this, perhaps just to make sure players would catch part of it at least.
  • By the way, my all-time favourite book title is in the non-fiction. It's called "How To Seriously Injure Someone With This Book." lmao.
  • I just read the description for Glutton Spiel. Definitely Hunger Games. Kids chosen from isolated post-apocalyptic communities to fight to the death... Plus the "Glutton" in the title is a food/hunger reference, plus it says "because future" and it's listed in Sci-Fi. I'm not sure where the "Spiel" part fits in though. I always thought a spiel was a rambling monologue, or some such.
  • Spiel is German for game or play, I thought? Something like that. But that was good work, @iamsweetmystery
  • From what I looked up, "spiel" means a long story or speech, usually used to persuade. A rambling sales pitch would be an example of this. Basically, rhetoric. In a way, I could see that concept being related to "playing a game" (a game of words, playing with minds/emotions, etc.) and the way language tends to evolve, I could totally see how the connection could be made in another language to play and games in general through a shift in use over time. Also, some types of games (such as PnP RPGs) make use of long stories and various forms of persuasion as a gameplay mechanic.
    Sorry if I rambled a bit, myself. I've always found linguistics and etymology extremely fascinating.
  • Back on the subject of the books themselves, I get a lot of these references since I've read many of the RL books being parodied. I've read all 3 books in The Hunger Games, the first book of Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice), the first 3 books of Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey, and many more, along with familiarity with other media being spoofed (Chronicles of Ridd-ick , The Fast and the Furious, Mass Effect, etc.) It's fun seeing and recognizing so many things I like getting some Sims attention. It's like with musicians and Weird Al. You know you've made it when you're significant enough for a "big player" like The Sims to parody your work, so congrats to all those authors, filmmakers and game devs immortalized in the Sims Parody Hall of Fame. :)