Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Ace
6 years ago

Garden plants and climates

I know I can use whatever plant I wish to use in whatever world I like, but somehow I try to be realistic. Not using banana palms in Windenburg, and not using birch trees in Selvadorada. But with more packs added, I find that there are many new garden plants that I could add to old lots. I keep forgetting upgrading my existing lots with content from new packs.

To the topic, I want to be realistic, and I wish the game would indicate the climates for all the plants somehow. There could simply be a tiny red spot on the object's buy and build icon if the plant is *not* suited for the world you are currently in. The game knows the world's climate, so it shouldn't be that hard to code, misplaced plants could even die more easy. I'm not talking about greenhouses, but out in the not sheltered gardens.

I might push the limits a bit if the garden owner has higher gardening skills, then I'd believe s/he would be better at making a misplaced plant thrive :)

Do you pay attention to climate zones when you build a garden? Palm trees might look a bit off in certain worlds, but it's harder to choose from the garden flowers/shrubs. Like the Bougainvillae, it typically likes a warm and sunny climate, would it look off in a world like Brindleton Bay or Windenburg? Or do you just mix all plants wherever you like, regardless of their preferences?
  • I think it's a lovely idea. I try to mimic the plants I see in the neighbourhood when I build gardens, but I don't know all the plants so some of them might be a bit off, but I do try to pay attention to it :)
  • I think the idea of climatic zones for plants makes sense.
    I like how it's implemented in one MMORPG I played: you can still plant things in any zone, but they will grow slower, bear less fruit, wither more often in an unfavorable climate.
    My gardener Sim lives in Brindleton Bay and has collected almost all plants in her garden, I wouldn't want it to be impossible.
  • "Morkovka;c-17179937" wrote:
    I think the idea of climatic zones for plants makes sense.
    I like how it's implemented in one MMORPG I played: you can still plant things in any zone, but they will grow slower, bear less fruit, wither more often in an unfavorable climate.
    My gardener Sim lives in Brindleton Bay and has collected almost all plants in her garden, I wouldn't want it to be impossible.

I too have recently built a huge garden in BB, containing a few more variety than I feel is totally realistic, but the gardener is very dedicated. And I think BB might have a wet climate that is good unless there is freezing cold winters. How cool would it be if edgy plants would actually survive the winter depending on how rough the winter was?

Btw: I'd love to see this for harvestable plants, too. I've set up my own chart for them, trying to avoid outdoor growing of certain crops in certain worlds.