Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Ace
3 hours ago

How to deal with Authors' books?

I've just started to focus more on writing books. Creating an in-game book publishing company helps, and I'm currently building both their community lot and a webpage.

This far about 5 Authors signed with the company, and the plan is to have them publish one book per year +/-. Some will be with national/regional themes, and most will be with a custom book cover for the advertising, if I see it will reflect the theme better. I love the game's covers, but some of them appear quite often, so perhaps there could be more alternatives or we could pick the cover for each book (like we did in TS2?).

Anyway, I have no clue how to make the published books useful to other sims in my game. Is it possible through a retail store? It would of course not include the custom covers. At the moment I make sure my Authors create a copy of their book before publishing it. So, in many cases there exists 1 copy, but I guess it can get lost at any time.

But how could a book be spread to numerous households or be made available to read at the community lot, maybe even in all libraries? If there were 6 libraries, would the Author need to create 6 copies before publishing? And then travel about to leave a copy on a table? Can others read a book they do not own? So, again, is retail and gifting the only way?

Also - is there a way to see what titles a sim wrote in the past? I know we see the titles in the royalty list, but that requires the sim to be actively played at 10 AM. Can a list be accessed on a computer? Would it require a certain Writing level, or a trait or whatever? The royalty list says nothing about genre and quality. Such a list would come in handy to know an Author's style/market. Would make sense if most of them will focus on one genre. So far I found nothing related.

Any other tips regarding Authors and making them more interesting to play? I plan to have them give lectures/speeches related to their latest book, and to arrange meet&greet (which might depend on their fame). Some Authors will focus more on literature than on celebrity status, though...

I've read guides to the Author career, Writing skill levels and how to publish books. Now I'm more curious about how these things can be developed into meaningful game play. Would love to learn how you handle your Authors and their books. Cheers!

No RepliesBe the first to reply