Forum Discussion

anthonydyer
Seasoned Traveler
7 years ago

Improve attics

I am a fan of attics. They are fun and it is nice to make good use of the space under your roof. With the current way sims 4 is set up, attics are not practical. If you have walls up and go to the level of your attic, your roofs will be in the way and it is impossible to look into your attic space. The only way to see into the attic is to have walls down, which I never do that. Can we make attics practical again? Perhaps have it the same way it was in the sims 3?
  • TS2 had good attics as well, including dormer capability. Mansion and Garden pack gave us Empire roofs, which defacto make a usable attic.
  • Attics are non-existent in TS4. It's just unused under roof draft. The lighting under roofs is just outdoor lighting. When combining roofs they all clip into eachother. The wallpaper of the roof is the same all around. No working dormers. I just wish we would have attics. It would make building so much more fun and it would open up so many capabilities. Don't think it will ever come in TS4 though. I'm saving this hope for TS5.
    anthonydyer
    Seasoned Traveler
    "NickSims;c-16454519" wrote:
    Attics are non-existent in TS4. It's just unused under roof draft. The lighting under roofs is just outdoor lighting. When combining roofs they all clip into eachother. The wallpaper of the roof is the same all around. No working dormers. I just wish we would have attics. It would make building so much more fun and it would open up so many capabilities. Don't think it will ever come in TS4 though. I'm saving this hope for TS5.

The thing is attics are not perfect in sims 2 and 3, but they worked. The way houses behave in sims 4 changed everything and created all these problems. They are pretty close to functional attics in the sims 4, they just need to modify certain behaviors such as the lighting issues (which I was not aware of) and the roof being visible when looking at the attic floor.

Also when you say the wallpaper of the roof is the same all around... I had a problem with this when I wanted to use a certain brick pattern on a specific range of roof area. The game would not allow it. So now my house does not look right.
  • I don't know how you are building your attics, but I don't have a problem seeing into mine. You need to place your roof in sections on two levels - the side pieces are placed on the same level as the attic (which needs to be a proper room) and the central ridge or peak is placed on top of the attic, so that it is invisible at attic level, allowing you to see inside in cutaway mode. It's fiddly, but doable.
  • "Anthonydyer;c-16454852" wrote:
    "NickSims;c-16454519" wrote:
    Attics are non-existent in TS4. It's just unused under roof draft. The lighting under roofs is just outdoor lighting. When combining roofs they all clip into eachother. The wallpaper of the roof is the same all around. No working dormers. I just wish we would have attics. It would make building so much more fun and it would open up so many capabilities. Don't think it will ever come in TS4 though. I'm saving this hope for TS5.

The thing is attics are not perfect in sims 2 and 3, but they worked. The way houses behave in sims 4 changed everything and created all these problems. They are pretty close to functional attics in the sims 4, they just need to modify certain behaviors such as the lighting issues (which I was not aware of) and the roof being visible when looking at the attic floor.

Also when you say the wallpaper of the roof is the same all around... I had a problem with this when I wanted to use a certain brick pattern on a specific range of roof area. The game would not allow it. So now my house does not look right.

Really sucks how we can't even select different wallpapers for different walls of a roof.
  • I agree with what has been said on this thread - I never made attics in Sims 4 (I've pretty much stopped playing and no longer purchase any more game or stuff packs - I haven't bought any of the recent packs) because you really can't see into them in live mode.
    anthonydyer
    Seasoned Traveler
    "FKM100;c-16467955" wrote:
    I don't know how you are building your attics, but I don't have a problem seeing into mine. You need to place your roof in sections on two levels - the side pieces are placed on the same level as the attic (which needs to be a proper room) and the central ridge or peak is placed on top of the attic, so that it is invisible at attic level, allowing you to see inside in cutaway mode. It's fiddly, but doable.

@FKM100 That is an interesting way to build attics. The way I do it is place a roof above my highest full floor and the space under that roof is the attic. Many times I will place a wall under the roof where it will not stick out of the roof line.
    anthonydyer
    Seasoned Traveler
    In the sims 2 and 3, I could do this process in 30 seconds with my eyes closed. The sims 4 made houses so structured to the point where you cannot build certain things. I've even had trouble building vaulted ceilings and 2nd floor overlooks. For example, you cannot have a grand staircase unless you have a door/archway at the top of the stairs. You are not allowed to have any breaks in wall between the open space and 2nd story floor.