Forum Discussion

Chicklet45368
Rising Traveler
4 years ago

Improvements to TS4's Core Game Engine??

Maxis has a new job posting listed for a Core Software Engineer which I thought was pretty interesting.

What You Will Do

Reporting to a development Manager, as a Core Software Engineer on The Sims, you will work on core game features. The work will range from rapid prototyping to enhancing game systems and implementing new features. You will work on a variety of tasks from supporting and improving The Sims 4 engine to implementing game features for Create-a-Sim, Build/Buy, Sim animation and other major game components. Most of the work will be done in C++.

Job Responsibilities:

Extend existing The Sims 4 core features and create new ones in C++.
Work with designers, producers, content creators and other engineers to develop game features.
Write technical design documents detailing software requirements.
Write cross-platform code with performance and memory usage in mind.
Debug code to document and fix bugs.
Solve to support active live service.

https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/165420/core-software-engineer-rendering-c-the-sims?locale=en

What type of things would you want to see improved?

• "logion;c-17860288" wrote:
    "simgirl1010;c-17860280" wrote:
    "Chazzzy;c-17860260" wrote:
    I don’t believe that hiring one additional employee is going to all of a sudden miraculously make the game a million times better. Any improvement will most likely not be substantial and will take a long time to implement.

It does say multiple locations. 5 to be exact.

Multiple Locations: Redwood City, California, United States • Orlando, Florida, United States • Austin, Texas, United States • Seattle, Washington, United States • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Huh, are Maxis located at more studios in the US and Canada now? I only knew of Redwood City, California and Austin, Texas.

This careers page shows multiple locations.

https://www.ea.com/ea-studios/maxis/careers
  • "logion;c-17860288" wrote:
    I don’t believe that hiring one additional employee is going to all of a sudden miraculously make the game a million times better. Any improvement will most likely not be substantial and will take a long time to implement.

Multiple Locations: Redwood City, California, United States • Orlando, Florida, United States • Austin, Texas, United States • Seattle, Washington, United States • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Huh, are Maxis located at more studios in the US and Canada now? I only knew of Redwood City, California and Austin, Texas.

Yeah only those two for the Sims studios. SimGuruFrost works from Canada.
    logionX
    Seasoned Vanguard
    "simgirl1010;c-17860307" wrote:
    "logion;c-17860288" wrote:

This careers page shows multiple locations.

https://www.ea.com/ea-studios/maxis/careers

Interesting, that could mean that Maxis have more people at other EA studios, or they are planning to have more people there.
  • "Scobre;c-17860565" wrote:

They did hire Luumia on the EA team recently who is known for body hair CC. Actually like how they are supporting the mod community more.

Ohhh I thought he was hired to do the cinematic stuff and not as an actual CAS artist, that's pretty awesome if so.

• @Simlady2000 @Chicklet453681 Looks like we are getting body hair. Saw this in my Youtube feed and sorry it is a leak:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXVHlqztxfI
  • "Chicklet453681;c-17860657" wrote:
    @Scobre I watched the video and read through the comments, someone who is Spanish and follows that twitter account stated that they have mistakenly taken pics of sims with CC and tweeted it, I also looked at the replies to that post and people questioned it and someone else commented about it not being the first time showed CC in a tweet.

So I am personally keeping a wait and see attitude because I would be upset if I thought it was coming and it didn't lol

Ah ok thank you. Luumia's CC then. One day.
    Sigzy_29
    New Spectator
    "Chicklet453681;d-988947" wrote:
    Maxis has a new job posting listed for a Core Software Engineer which I thought was pretty interesting.

What You Will Do

Reporting to a development Manager, as a Core Software Engineer on The Sims, you will work on core game features. The work will range from rapid prototyping to enhancing game systems and implementing new features. You will work on a variety of tasks from supporting and improving The Sims 4 engine to implementing game features for Create-a-Sim, Build/Buy, Sim animation and other major game components. Most of the work will be done in C++.

Job Responsibilities:

Work with designers, producers, content creators and other engineers to develop game features.

https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/165420/core-software-engineer-rendering-c-the-sims?locale=en

C++? Isn't TS4 written in Python? That's weird...

Sigzy_29
    New Spectator
    "Sk8rblaze;c-17861068" wrote:
    "Sigzy05;c-17860733" wrote:
    "Chicklet453681;d-988947" wrote:

What You Will Do

Job Responsibilities:

C++? Isn't TS4 written in Python? That's weird...

It uses both. I think it may also use C#, but I am not certain.

Hugh...interesting. Thanks didn't know that.