Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Indoor Gardening!

Everybody else probably already knows this, but I just realized that our sims can garden indoors! It's winter in my game, so I was getting frustrated by a sim who wants to improve her gardening skills. Reading gardening books and researching on the computer weren't helping much. Then I decided to check out BUY MODE to see if indoor gardening was possible. Even though the planters are listed under OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, yes, they can be purchased and placed inside. She quickly grabbed some parsley and planted it. This is going to be so much fun now.

I'm not sure if this has always been in the game or if it's a change that came about when Seasons was added, but I'm sure glad I found it. :)

• I think it's been around for a while, and it definitely comes in handy when the sim needs to work on those gardening skills. :)
  • I love playing around with grafting and it’s usually necessary to combine plants that grow in different seasons. Even if you have a deck with a roof over it, it’s considered sheltered so plants will grow there. I like seeing if I can combine commonly used ingredients as one plant and putting that in the kitchen for easy access.
  • "babajayne;c-17093240" wrote:
    I love playing around with grafting and it’s usually necessary to combine plants that grow in different seasons. Even if you have a deck with a roof over it, it’s considered sheltered so plants will grow there. I like seeing if I can combine commonly used ingredients as one plant and putting that in the kitchen for easy access.

In real life, I love having fresh herbs for cooking. Now, how convenient it will be for my sims to grow herbs and vegetables in a corner of their kitchen, and I no longer have to concern myself with whether something is in season. :) I used to hate the gardening skill, but I'm starting to enjoy it more. I've had cowplants in the game before, but only as a result of finding berries. I'm looking forward to having one from gardening skill. :)

MDianaSims
    Seasoned Hotshot
    From what I know, plants will progress something like 5x as slow when they're sheltered. So essentially, it's best to put them outdoors when they're in season and shelter them when they're out of season.
  • "NoWayJose527;d-960116" wrote:
    Even though the planters are listed under OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, yes, they can be purchased and placed inside. She quickly grabbed some parsley and planted it. This is going to be so much fun now.

You do not even need the planters. My rooftop farm is technically indoors (I demolished a penthouse for it). When playing it I only ever use the planters for the actual planting and then activate bb.moveobjects to place them on the ground (use CTRL-9 twice to place them at ground level, because otherwise they will float). Once that is done, the plants think they are firmly rooted in the earth instead of, say, the downstairs neighbors kitchen ceiling ;)

Here's an older picture:
    https://abload.de/img/13.11.18_22-51-34x2kk9.jpg

(Just for the record, I do not have Seasons installed, so i have no idea if or how this would work with the EP.)
  • Indoor gardening confuses me a little. The plants don't go dormant like they do when outside but they also don't seem to improve either. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm still learning the game.
  • "Emilyjade1998x;c-17788233" wrote:
    I know this is a old thread but I’ve come across it as I love indoor gardening as I hate what seasons does to the plants. I’ve had indoor plants grow very quick and hardly need water as they drip all the time. I simply build a room, place windows that open up every part & add a glass roof. This seems to do the trick for me on my sims, hope it helps someone!

I do the same, but gardening seems to be bugged right now. my plants don't produce, I have started from seed I get produce once or twice and then nothing.
  • You didnt know this?? its exactly the same as doing a fenced room on the outside. Its still considered indoors. LOL. . . but nobody wants to do gardening inside, because well, people dont do gardening inside.... i usually place a bonsai but the rest of the plants are just decorative plants... but my space indoor is not for gardening. I have "outdoors" for that.