Forum Discussion

HelloBeasty
Seasoned Newcomer
2 months ago

Is For Rent Worth It?

Hi all,

When For Rent came out, I dismissed it given how many technical issues other players were reporting and how it sounded as if it was capable of breaking saves. Is this still a problem? I would only buy the pack on sale, but is it even worth a discounted price? I'd love to hear some opinions. Thanks! 

• I've heard people say it still is, but personally I haven't had any major issues with it and I use it a lot! My advice is to turn off rental events as the fire bug isn't fixed and it makes it hard to play, but otherwise I love it. 

SnaveXs
    Seasoned Scout

I can tell you that I've experienced worse with Lovestruck at launch, than I did with For Rent. Sometimes I don't notice the same bugs as other simmers but my game was playable. This time I experience some lot corruption with Lovestruck. I had to revert to backup after updating for Lovestruck. Just keep them saves backup somewhere on your desktop, cloud, or USB. I think the For Rent feature is worth having because you can build apartments in different worlds. It's a feature that expands gameplay. That means you can have more space to build other stuff too.  

Bonxie_MCCC
    Seasoned Veteran

Is it worth? It depends.

If you want to use the landlord-tennant gameplay, the pack is certainly something you might consider.  I haven't used it so far, so I can't tell whether it's fun, especially for playing it frequently.

CAS and BB items are not bad. I would have expected a bit more vibrant colours.

The world Tomarang is small but beautiful. As with all recent worlds the lots are scattered between many empty shells so it looks orphaned bechause the sims being on the street are not enough to give it a lively touch. Also the nightmarket is quite empty. Only 4 of the stalls are "real" with a vendor, the other stalls are decoration only. The Temple and the Tiger Sanctuary are rabbit holes with only text interaction, so don't be disappointed if you expected something different.

Lot type "Rental residential lots" still cause issues. As far as I've heard, after changing such a lot to another lot type, it could happen that you can't load it anymore. I don't know whether this is mod related or a game bug.

I wouldn't pay the full EA price. But during sales week or from a key distributor with 40% - 50% off it is a reasonable deal.

simsimsere
    Seasoned Rookie

I got For Rent at release as a gift. It is not worth full price in my opinion. I haven't encountered many bugs playing it, however the tenant/landlord game is not that entertaining and the events get repetitive fast. I still love the ability to have multiple households living on the same lot and for that it's worth getting as it expands the current worlds (major thing for me). I also like the Tomarang world and the new traits, especially generous.

PandoraTO
    Seasoned Adventurer

I had thought I would by FR before it came out because I love building and I wanted to be able to make apartments, but then the bug reports flooded in. I've been tracking them ever since, and the pack is still not fixed enough for me to consider buying it. (Setting aside the fact that I'm not buying packs at all these days as a form of feedback to EA.) For one thing, I have a long-running save that I won't risk corrupting. I think maybe this pack works better for people who start fresh saves on a regular basis. But, that's just a theory since we're still not 100% sure about exactly what conditions trigger the corruption bug. 

There are other bugs as well that make key features of the pack pointless, such as landlords not getting paid. 

Bottom line is, I'm not going to buy a pack knowing that I can't use it as intended or that I'd have to use a bunch of workarounds (which I'd probably forget about half the time) to make it function properly. It's not worth it to me to buy the pack and then turn off or avoid using certain features that I paid for in an effort to prevent a bug that could destroy my game or to make badly tuned features less annoying.  One day, if they fix the corruption bug and also if I'm feeling less salty about EA in general, maybe I'll buy it at 50-60% off. But, I see neither of these things on the horizon right now.

HelloBeasty
    Seasoned Newcomer

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions, they're very helpful!