Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Is it a coincidence University had knitting?

Hey guys,

So I don't know about you but I have seen some people saying the Community Vote was rigged to make knitting win. What I personally think about this is not the point, though I think of the options we got knitting was the only kind of more interesting (especially due to the lack of elder gameplay) and I think it would have won anyway.
But today while playing the game I found kind of a teaser of the knitting pack while my sim was at uni. I knew about this before but my brain never really made the connection that this could mean they planned to make a knitting pack ahead of time before knowing the results of the vote.
You have probably seen it already. It is the prank you can pull at the opposing university statue. What I find weird about it is the randomness of it. The other pranks are pretty predictable with the graffiti and the toilet paper, but yarn?
As if The Sims Team who are notorious for recycling animations to save up time and budget actually sat down and made a knitting animation for the University pack.
They could have easily added something else as a prank or just left only 2 prank options. It's difficult for me to understand how they randomly came up with the yarn idea and why they decided to execute it without knowing about the knitting pack beforehand. One can only speculate and I am not accusing anyone of anything, this could have easily been a coincidence but I'm just throwing that out there and you can do whatever you want with it.

https://imgur.com/Z7HoQ2L.jpg

https://imgur.com/siECU4y.jpg
    SheriSim
    Rising Vanguard
    "SimmerGeorge;c-17608089" wrote:
    "popstarsley;c-17608075" wrote:
    "SimmerGeorge;c-17608038" wrote:
    "popstarsley;c-17608034" wrote:
    I’d also just like to slide in again to say that despite the animation controversy (which I agree with) I think stuff packs have markedly improved for the better since Moschino.

@popstarsley I fully agree, though that doesn't mean they are perfect (at least to me, I only own 4 of them) there have been improvements. Remember those early stuff packs, I mean I don't even wanna go there :lol:

@SimmerGeorge omg I keep trying and trying and trying to get Romantic Garden Stuff just because...it's $10 so why not? But it looks like it literally brings nothing to the game, so I don't! Recent Stuff Packs, whether one appreciates the theme or not, have brought so much more than just "stuff."

@popstarsley Yes me too. I'm desperate for more landscaping this is why Romantic Garden is so high up on my list but everytime I want to go buy it I'm like really? Spend 10€ for like 12 landscape items... oh man.
    Now at least we get stuff like the photography skill and stuff which is better.

Romantic garden was one of my least favorite packs. But, I don’t use the wishing well or landscape very much. However, I have a few of the statues for a church, and some in parks. And, I believe there was a hairstyle and clothes I liked a lot. It was worth it to me. Heck, you can’t hardly get a fast food meal for 10 bucks.
  • "SheriSim57;c-17608486" wrote:
    "SimmerGeorge;c-17608089" wrote:
    "popstarsley;c-17608075" wrote:
    "SimmerGeorge;c-17608038" wrote:
    "popstarsley;c-17608034" wrote:
    I’d also just like to slide in again to say that despite the animation controversy (which I agree with) I think stuff packs have markedly improved for the better since Moschino.

@popstarsley I fully agree, though that doesn't mean they are perfect (at least to me, I only own 4 of them) there have been improvements. Remember those early stuff packs, I mean I don't even wanna go there :lol:

@SimmerGeorge omg I keep trying and trying and trying to get Romantic Garden Stuff just because...it's $10 so why not? But it looks like it literally brings nothing to the game, so I don't! Recent Stuff Packs, whether one appreciates the theme or not, have brought so much more than just "stuff."

@popstarsley Yes me too. I'm desperate for more landscaping this is why Romantic Garden is so high up on my list but everytime I want to go buy it I'm like really? Spend 10€ for like 12 landscape items... oh man.
    Now at least we get stuff like the photography skill and stuff which is better.

Romantic garden was one of my least favorite packs. But, I don’t use the wishing well or landscape very much. However, I have a few of the statues for a church, and some in parks. And, I believe there was a hairstyle and clothes I liked a lot. It was worth it to me. Heck, you can’t hardly get a fast food meal for 10 bucks.

@SheriSim57 Yeah but food and video games are not the same when it comes to market value so comparing them like that is difficult.
  • I think they only had very limited animations. The Uni knitting is not as good and detailed as the NK knitting. How about the teaching child to knit animations?

My take on it is that they realized there are other ways to make crafting hobby (sewing, brodery, croaching(?) etc) and decided to run a community poll to check the interest *before* actually developing the knitting animations. Thy even asked us how we felt about sims standing up when knitting (the Uni way?), then most of us disliked that idea, and I don't think the Uni animation (standing) is in the NK pack at all.

I don't feel bad about Uni having a little knitting at all. Hey, we had a few knitted sweaters all the way back in the base game... :)
  • "CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-17608378" wrote:
    Yarn Bombing is a thing. Well at least it was way before DU was released. It’s been quite prominent in cities. I’ve seen lampposts covered in that stuff. I’m not a fan.
    In saying that, I don’t think anything is coincidental when it comes to TS4.

The devs want to make things they like. Because after all, they’re the ones who will have to work on this specific thing for months.
    The devs who had the idea of creating a -Yarn bombing the college statue- option in DU, may have been the same devs that proposed one of the community voting themes: Arts & Crafts-knitting. Because that’s what some of them do at home. They knit.

The Devs would have created a list of options that they like to make and know they can make within a certain time frame. Something like sewing wasn’t in it, possibly because:

• it’ll be part of another pack that was already-and still is in development.
    • the devs don’t want to make it.
    • it’s already in TS mobile, so they had to look for other, newer options.

Regardless of the poll outcome, the devs would have wanted and probably will work on all the features, so it’s very likely we’ll see some of them return in separate packs, if not all.

The animations would not have been pre-made. Unless one of the animators was so passionate about knitting and did some tests in their own time, I don’t believe they where ready for polishing.
    Too much money is involved in creating and testing animation and it has to be prioritized which team will do which animation. The animation for knitting would have started after knitting was the prioritized stuff pack.
    What might have happened is that the animators created simple poses or gave the director a rough idea about how sims would move when interacting with the objects proposed in any of the themes. But that’s about it.

I also believe that it’s possible that Happy Haunts got the winning vote, but after looking at all the ideas that the community shared on the forums and other platforms, the devs could have decided it would suit a Game Pack (or EP?)much better and somehow pushed for the second best pack, which was Arts and Crafts- to win.

One way or another, after the community votes where finalized and the outcome was clear, another list of priorities was made to see which theme would suit which pack.
    Looking at this possible upcoming space/future Game Pack, I can imagine it to include the portable telescope and the hologram friend.
    And somewhere in the future we’ll see some of the other features too, not just because the community wants them, but because the devs want to work on them, knowing they have the ability to do so.

????????? I love every single one f your posts. (Not a stalker I promise lol? I just see you everywhere)
    They are always informative, insightful, thought provoking and funny.

I definitely agree with this it sounds very reasonable.?