Forum Discussion

AaronRulz78
New Spectator
4 years ago

Make it stop!

What is with sims constantly playing video games on the computer? Its non-stop! I have this high power rich couple in a penthouse in San Myshuno, and they are running to the computer to play video games even when I have them "dislike" playing video games. They are not the video gaming type people and it ruins my story a little. Please is there a way to stop this autonomy?
    Lazzial
    New Spectator
    It is annoying. I resolved this by using a small square dining table as a desk and a laptop computer. You can drag a laptop off to one side so it doesn't face the chair and you can still have your sims order stuff from it. If you want them to actually use it just slide it over so it's facing the chair. It's been working really well.
  • You can lock the computer and they'll only be able to use it if you unlock it. Set it to "lock for everyone"
  • "Arzekial;c-17978492" wrote:
    It is annoying. I resolved this by using a small square dining table as a desk and a laptop computer. You can drag a laptop off to one side so it doesn't face the chair and you can still have your sims order stuff from it. If you want them to actually use it just slide it over so it's facing the chair. It's been working really well.

love this idea! thanks!
  • When your sims use the computer autonomously, does it show up as a queued action? Lately I have noticed my sims wander off to a computer with nothing in queue and this is annoying because there’s nothing to cancel (until they actually start using the computer.)
  • "babajayne;c-17978571" wrote:
    When your sims use the computer autonomously, does it show up as a queued action? Lately I have noticed my sims wander off to a computer with nothing in queue and this is annoying because there’s nothing to cancel (until they actually start using the computer.)

YES!!! this happens!
  • Is your game up to date? Because the latest patch fixed the dislikes a little, I think. Before the last update my sim couple always tried to play video games on PC or phone, but since I saw patch notes I tried to give them dislike video game and for now it works. They went to browse web or troll the forum, but never autonomously decided on video gaming. I’m on console though so not sure how it turned out on PC.
  • Many complaints about the game centre on the emotions, but it is the object attraction that I think is the real problem and really shows that the traits of the sim don't seem at all related to what they do with objects in the environment.

All sims when being invited in march straight to a computer and start playing video games, usually accompanied by the It Begins dialogue box

I suspect the high video game attraction was perhaps an attempt at satire when the game released, but that joke has worn really thin now.

Interestingly, I do have an exception - my genius and lazy sim who I have set to liking video games never plays them autonomously. Nope- he obsessively researches workout tips instead - go figure :/

Sims 4: Watch Your Sims Play Video Games
    Yes, the most meta game of the sims yet - its video games, video games all the way down
    Lazzial
    New Spectator
    "aaronrulz;c-17978541" wrote:
    "Arzekial;c-17978492" wrote:

love this idea! thanks!

You're welcome. Yeah, the constant gaming was a huge headache for me as well. You can lock the computer, but somehow they still manage to do stuff like practice writing and editing. Also, if you use MCCC you can disable autonomous laptop use and just keep it in your sims inventory if you want to go that route, but I find the dining desk setup the most practical and you don't need a mod to do it.
  • "babajayne;c-17978571" wrote:
    When your sims use the computer autonomously, does it show up as a queued action? Lately I have noticed my sims wander off to a computer with nothing in queue and this is annoying because there’s nothing to cancel (until they actually start using the computer.)

I've noticed this lately, too. I could have sworn that it used to not do that. If I see my sim wandering off with nothing in their queue, I'll usually just shift click them and reset them.

"wahini2024;c-17978535" wrote:
    You can lock the computer and they'll only be able to use it if you unlock it. Set it to "lock for everyone"

This is what I like to do to solve this problem. Keeps guests off the computer, too!
  • I have a sim who autonomously researches parenthood. His wife likes to troll the forums. I don't have any sims that prefer to play videogames, most of them are trolls.