Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Moving out/splitting household with furniture/inventory

So, typical question about moving out Sims who have now aged up to adults... I know how to do the split/merge household function, but what I'm having trouble with is how to take furniture or a household inventory with the Sim I split off. For example, my Sims' adult child is moving to her own place and I would like her to be able to take her piano and some bedroom furniture with her. However, even when I put this in the family inventory, it is no longer available to her once I put her in her own household. While it makes sense for it to work that way, there has got to be a way for me to give her access to some of the inventory or a way for her to take it with her. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question, so is there a way to take things with Sims (that can't go in personal inventory) when they split into another household?
  • There's no in-game solution at the moment other than deleting the furniture pre-move and then repurchasing, and none coming that we've heard about. If you're open to modded solutions, there's Scumbumbo's Packing Crates mod at Mod the Sims.
  • Thanks... I'm trying to avoid mods, but good to know I don't need to try to look for an in-game solution any more.
  • There's an in game solution but it's a bit silly and tedious.

1. What you do is make the girl you want to move out the "main" household in the split household pop up. That means you move the parents to the right column (new household section). And then you move the parents out to an empty lot.

2. Then you put whatever stuff you want to the girl's inventory. Then you move her out and pick "sell furniture", so the furniture stays in the old house. Put her in a new house, etc.

3. Now, you can move the parents back into the old house. They might not be able to afford the house, but you can use the motherlode cheat.
    Or what I like to do is merge random households to the parents' household. This will make the income go up. That is totally not cheating.*wink wink* XD And then move them all in to the house and then kick out those random sims.

But yeah, I think buying the stuff again is much quicker than this, but just in case someone wants to use this method to put personal stuff like collections, paintings made by the specific sim, etc, this is the way to do it.
  • Especially with the Flea Market option now in City Living, I would like my teen to be able to bring with him the things he bought. Someone shared with me another silly and tedious way to do this, but that works.

After your teen has grown up and moved out, create a little room separate from the house, and put in it whatever you wanted him to take with him. Then save that room to the gallery. When you go to your now grown teenager out on his own, go to the gallery and add this room to his yard. You can then take the items from the room and put them wherever you want in his house, then delete the room. You can likewise delete the room and items from his parents house.

This works with any way you want a Sim to "gift" something to a Sim in a different household, including unique items you cannot buy in build mode.
  • I found a workaround with room saving
    Make a room with the inventory you wish to transfer save it to your personal gallery then move in with the sim and sell all items them buy back in new house
  • "bacake12;c-15626316" wrote:
    Especially with the Flea Market option now in City Living, I would like my teen to be able to bring with him the things he bought. Someone shared with me another silly and tedious way to do this, but that works.

After your teen has grown up and moved out, create a little room separate from the house, and put in it whatever you wanted him to take with him. Then save that room to the gallery. When you go to your now grown teenager out on his own, go to the gallery and add this room to his yard. You can then take the items from the room and put them wherever you want in his house, then delete the room. You can likewise delete the room and items from his parents house.

This works with any way you want a Sim to "gift" something to a Sim in a different household, including unique items you cannot buy in build mode.

This is actually brilliant - but silly, yes. Thanks!
  • Easiest way without cheats or mods (or a complicated process):

Make a list of the items
    Sell everything you want 'moved'
    Add that amount to the simoleons to transfer
    Buy it all back in the new house

Note: you can't buy items in the new house if the Sim(s) don't have the appropriate level in career for unique items (or the quests etc... to get unique items for the household). Only way to get around that is to go to the empty new house and add the unique items first before the Sim(s) buy the lot and move in.
    The value of the unique items will be added to the cost of the lot, so, it's not cheating. ;)
    EA_Rtas
    Icon for Community Manager rankCommunity Manager
    Hey folks, given that this thread has been inactive for quite some time, recent posts aside I'm going to close this off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting