Forum Discussion

moppy14w
Seasoned Newcomer
7 years ago

Musicians and Busking; a few questions.

1) How exactly does busking work? I’ve got a level 6 guitar skill playing in the Spice District/Flea market on the busking item. Sims are around, Sims are walking by, no tips (that I can see). Is level 6 skill still too low? Is it something about the permanent busking objects in the city (does she maybe need to buy her own?).
Does the Solict Tips interaction work and how?

2) What about the piano? (When it’s time, she’s only level 3 skill so far).

3) How come hours of busking doesn’t seem to have counted to the “Practice Music” daily job requirement for her entertainer career?
    simsimsere
    Seasoned Rookie
    This was a good while back, but I remember my sim making nice amount of money just by playing songs in a park. Perhaps more than with the busking station. Maybe it still works?

For practice music you need to pick the interaction that says practice.
  • "luimistelija;c-16688887" wrote:
    This was a good while back, but I remember my sim making nice amount of money just by playing songs in a park. Perhaps more than with the busking station. Maybe it still works?

I find it ironic that one can make more money simply playing an instrument out in the open than by using a busker stand designed to specifically rake in money :p
  • Where your sim(s) play an instrument(s) outside/in public areas for tips from other sims
  • I can't exactly answer the first two bc I'm currently testing this out myself; I've got a couple living in the city where one of them busks with a guitar. He's currently either lvl 7-8 in it yet he doesn't make much from it everytime. I can't understand the algorithms for it either, though I preferred to buy my own busker stand so I don't get shafted out of using the neighborhood ones myself. I guess it's more true to life than I thought lol. Perhaps you may have more luck with the keyboard busking.

The third is also a good question; don't know why it doesn't count as music practice but the simplest answer is simply that the busking interactions were never coded to count as practicing music. Using any interaction that has the word 'practice' in it will guarantee it being counted though.
  • It doesn't work well in San Myshuno. Only tourists leave tips, and there are way too many distractions to attract them. It works better at the park.
  • I've always just gone to higher populated areas such as the main parks in any area or outside restaurants etc

• Forget the busking platform. Go to Planet Honey Pop, your sim will earn skill faster and most of the other sims entering the bar will tip... You should place your sim as far from the karaoke machine as possible, somewhere along the front wall.

~happy simming~

Edit to add: I have found the piano at the haunted mansion in Windenburg to be profitable. As a matter of fact, the gardens are a great place to play for tips with any instrument (try over by where Bernard paints). As for a keyboard, I have never found a good (decently paying) spot.
  • "luimistelija;c-16688887" wrote:

You took the words right off of my keyboard! I was about to say, they don't get credit because playing for tips is not exactly practice. ;)