Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Observation of TS4's depth

While TS4 is still lacking in a bunch of areas (mostly the sims' individuality with traits/likes etc, reactions and family play with life stage differentiation), I have observed that TS4 does actually offer much more interactions and ways to communicate with other sims than previous games.

In TS3, there were much fewer social interactions. There were some great interactions that we don't have now which would be great to have back, but it was impossible for sims to talk very long without having to repeatedly use the same interactions in a short cycle. Basically, the main interactions were "chat", "get to know" and "tell joke." In TS4, we have interactions like talk about dreams, deep conversation, ask about (sim) etc, and they can discuss various topics, debate stuff, and generally have more trait- and skill-related social interactions. It feels much more immersive and personal to use these sort of detailed interactions than to repeatedly use "chat." I played TS3 a while ago again after TS4 and I felt the absence of good communication options between sims. Most people don't even realize this about TS4 but it's actually really cool.

While there are still many romantic interactions missing (like slow dancing and relaxing on the bed etc.), we have A LOT of romantic interactions as well. In TS3, I usually used a total of about 5, excluding woohoo. TS4 has a lot and even more are unlocked with certain emotions! I love "self-depricating joke" with embarassment and "frenzied kiss" with anger. While TS4 could benefit from some more steamy make-out interactions, they are pretty great.

Ways to communicate has also improved! Sims can be asked out to celebrate, to go on dates, invited to parties, be randomly texted and simply be asked to chill. Sims in TS3 could be asked out and invited to stuff but not as frequently and they couldn't text. These TS4 features make for some really nice stories and I find it cute when sims randomly text my sim. Vampires can also *offer* to turn your sim! That is literally so cool. I just wish that NPC's could also propose and you can choose yes or no.

TS4 does not yet feel as in-deph as previous games, but these points are pretty awesome. It is very focussed on social depth and though we need some depth in other areas, the game is only improving and we will get exactly that over time :)

What do you guys think? :)