Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Off the Grid

Now that we have off the grid we need two things:

1. A filter for all off the grid items.
2. All the off the grid items properly marked and enabled. Why did they label the wood stove as a gas stove and why do lanterns have to be on the grid?
  • Need canned goods. So we can make soups using gas stove. Stews too. I mean you can make a lot things on a camp stove should be same stuff. If I can cook it on Barbecue then should be able to cook it on gas stove.
  • I really like the idea of the trait, and would love to have some of my sims live on a lot with it. I actually have one in Brindleton Bay and another in Windenburg that technically are! But I don't feel like playing them until it gets sorted out. The top things being these:

• Which has been mentioned, there are items that should be marked as off-the-grid, yet they're not. Like the wash tub and some candle lights.
    • Being able to clean things. If I can flush the toilet and shower even though they are water saving, then I sure can clean them. There are even ways to clean without water.
    • Useage of baths. Again, if I can take a water saving shower then I can fill a bathtub with a little water to clean a toddler or a dog.
    • Stoves and the cooking/baking. I may not be that familiar with gas stoves but I am quite so with cast iron stoves that uses wood (Which one of the stoves is, not gas), and they can be used almost the same way as my modern one. That includes baking! It's just different and harder if you're not used to it.
    • A search filter for the items would be nice.
    • Newspaper/catalog of some sort so sims can look for work and order upgrade parts etc.

I'm sure there is something else, but thoseare the ones I can think of right now.
    It would be great with some item additions to the trait aswell. Such as rainwater collectors, solarpanels, outhouses, more lights like oil lamps, iceboxes etc.
  • Thanks, I'll try that. I just kept using the Shift + mailbox click cheat and filling all needs to get by. Finally got tired of it, and took the poor kids to their grandparents' house so their mom could bake birthday cakes so they could age up. But they do live on the ocean, and can build sand castles whenever they want, so it's not all bad. :)
  • "CelSims;c-17128331" wrote:
    "ChrissyCoolest;c-17127651" wrote:
    You can't give a toddler a bath in the off-the-grid bath tub.

You can, control the toddler and have her ask for a bath. Your adult will oblige. Counter intuitive as trying to do it as the adult clicking on the bath directly is greyed out.

Agreed though, the whole off the grid system seems like it needed a lot more thought and time put into it. Good start and still fun to play with, but really needs polishing.

I was wondering about that, I wanted my off the grid sim to start a family, but I was concerned about the toddler batheing! That wouldnt work with the dog washing though. but atleast there is a work around on the toddlers. Thanks!
  • I definitely agree with everything said here, and I really do want to see Off the Grid polished up. I got so tired of my off the grid family's dog being smelly all the time that I had to get rid of the trait, but I'm intending to go back to it once they've fixed some of the issues. I'm liking Island Living so much more than I expected, and this is largely part of it.