Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Over One Billion Hours Played In 2021

https://twitter.com/gamesTMmag/status/1471566949582884873?t=dXQu2JuEwvYNKDHrR1Uvig&s=19

EA just revealed the staggering new figure for their 'Year in Gaming' blog post earlier today on December 16. Not only have players on The Sims 4 logged over one billion total hours played over the course of the year so far, but they've also created over 376 million Sims over the year (that's more than the population of the U.S. right now).

It might at first seem slightly surprising, given that The Sims 4 released over seven years ago all the way back in 2014. It's really a testament to the barrage of new content that EA has provided for the simulation game over the recent years, with major add-ons like Cottage Living, Spa Day expansion, and Scenarios breathing new life into the hit game.

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-sims-4-players-clocked-in-over-one-billion-hours-in-2021/?utm_campaign=

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/news/2021-year-in-gaming

1.2 billion hours played.
529 million hours spent in live mode.
146 million hours spent in CAS.
226 million hours spent in build mode.
274 million whohoos.
376 million sims created.
11.3 million gallery uploads.
201 million gallery downloads.
Most common death-old age.
    logionX
    Seasoned Vanguard
    "simmerorigin;c-18023950" wrote:
    To put it into perspective, we can estimate that there are only about a couple million active players of the Sims in the entire world in 2021. Other franchises are in the 10s of millions. Top games, like Fortnite, are close to 100 million. Sims 4 is a tiny fish.

Separately, we have multiple signals that engagement has fallen in the latter half of the year.

• Lackluster content release (Kits ad nauseam) causing dwindling morale on social media
  • EA Marketing has invested in a major partnership with Bretman Rock in an apparent attempt to recruit new, young Gen Z players
  • Scenarios were introduced with a particular emphasis on time-limited scenarios to encourage players to complete them before they expire

• Well Fortnite and Call of Duty are the big fishes and I don't think the sims4 is really comparable to those huge giants. But yes, it does feel like they have recently tried a bit more than usual to create player engagement.

A couple of million of players every year is not bad though, but I always find it fascinating... look at other social media, these forums etc. does it really feel like this game have a million active people?

It would be interesting to see other player stats too, mostly daily, weekly and monthly active players. I wonder how many they have had these last six months, I have barely played the game at all.
    logionX
    Seasoned Vanguard
    "g01denswan;c-18024160" wrote:
    1.2 billion hours played isn’t a lot if there really is over 30 million players. That means an average player only played for 40 hours during 2021. That’s less than 1 hour per week.

274 million whohoos isn’t a lot either if there are over 30 million players. 30 million average people would have woohooed way more than that.

When they say that they have 30 million unique players (36 in may) they are often talking about life-to-date, which means that they are counting from 2014. I don't think people from 2014 are playing the game that much.

So I think the player numbers during this year was probably between 1-10 million. That's a bit more hours per week.
  • "simgirl1010;c-18026025" wrote:
    @Scobre would love to see some of your gameplay pics. ?

I hope I can when my new computer comes. I had a lot of fun with that more intense fire mod.
  • "CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-18026140" wrote:
    "Scobre;c-18026099" wrote:
    "CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-18024336" wrote:
    "g01denswan;c-18024303" wrote:
    "CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-18024165" wrote:
    "g01denswan;c-18024160" wrote:

274 million whohoos isn’t a lot either if there are over 30 million players. 30 million average people would have woohooed way more than that.

We’ve already learned that 2 players are responsible for most CAS hours spent.
    Something new we can learn is that I’m responsible for at least 237 million of those woohoos.

Can you still walk?

Me? Barely.
    I twisted my ankle the other day.

My sims are OK though. They’ve always walked a bit funny.

Sorry about your ankle @CAPTAIN_NXR7. I hope that you feel better soon. I have suffered from torn ligaments in both my ankles for years, so my empathy goes out to you on that. Arnica Montana cream has helped me which I think is called Arnicare at places like Walmart with swelling and bruising. John Wayne mentioned it in the movie McClintock. I hope you have ice and heat packs for it too.

Ah @Scobre, you are very kind but I deserve no sympathy.
    I am very sorry to hear about your suffering from torn ligaments and I’m glad to hear the arnicare cream offers some relief. ❤️

I do walk a bit like John Wayne sometimes, however, my ankle injury is not as bad as it sounds. In fact I don’t have an ankle injury at all.
    I can’t really explain the “joke” now and it wasn’t even a good one.
    It had to do with someone else asking whether I’m still able to walk after being responsible for at least 237 million Woohoos in The Sims.

I always thought woohoo is something Sims do, aka virtual people in a virtual world. Could I have been wrong all that time? Has Maxis been tracking my personal endeavors? I doubt it.
    If I were responsible for 237 million real life woohoos within such a relatively short amount of time there would be no need for me to worry about not being able to walk.
    That’s right. I’d be dead. ?

Ah ok. Yeah it is a lot. I turn the tracking off myself. I find it a bit big brother creepy. Plus not sure if the game tracks those dark side mods other Simmers use too which probably can skew it. Honestly I am amazed with each pack release the four things people ask if it has new achievements, supernaturals, deaths, and woohoos. People love the woohoo. Back in my day it was called play in bed, play on bear rug, and play in hot tub in the Sims 1.
  • "83bienchen;c-18026188" wrote:
    I personally love new woohoo spots for the cute romantic animations they (used to) come with. If the animations are just recycled from another woohoo spot, I'm mit interested.
    For instance, I do find shed, sauna and shower woohoo quite underwhelming, while I Iove the animations for hot tub and dresser woohoo.
    The same is true for other socials and interactions in the game. I prefer the ones that look (e.g. are animated) meaningful over the ones that only give moodlets or - even worse - have just been renamed to pretend there's something new and unnecessarily clog the pie menu.

I do agree with that. Safe woohoo when it is just a rabbit hole does get boring. Hot tub and the closet woohoo are the best ones. The lighthouse was a bit creative too for a rabbit hole woohoo. It is like um Sims do you need a bit of help? Just makes all Sims seem like 100+ year elders.