Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Ace
2 years ago

Plants and climate zones

With a growing number of worlds, including numerous climate zones, I would like the game to be more clear on where certain plants will grow. Afaik the only direct climate/weather impact is temperature, meaning you can't plant anything while the ground is frozen - not relating to whether the plant will thrive but more of a practical issue. Which is fine, btw, I like that certain actions can't be done at all time - it needs some planning and the seasons get a role, I only wish the same would go for "at any location". Being able to plant a tropical plant in Windenburg is fine, but it should not survive or at least not give as much crops as it would in Sulani.

The worlds do have a system of climates, controlling light, length of day and weather systems, but I don't think these factors actually affect plants, or?

So, I'm currently in the progress of setting what zones (worlds) will be a better match with each crop - if grown on free land. Greenhouse is of course not affected. My sims will then mostly refer to this list when they choose their crops, giving some species being more locally common than others. I'm basing it on 6 climate zones, trying to group the worlds for my 8 regions. Most plants I know roughly were will grow, but later on I might fine tune my facts. It's just a game after all, but I will at least check more thoroughly what plants do grow off lots in what worlds - seeing that specie thriving in that world or it would not grow wildly. For instance, I just realized Forgotten Hollow might be located a bit farther south than I originally thought, as garlic is such a big thing (not only for vampirism, but it is obviously grown there too).

A few plants are (probably) not real, but simmish (typically from Sixam), and if you want to suggest climate zones for the following short list, feel free :)

1. U.F.O. fruit
2. Growfruit
3. Glow Orb
4. Quill Fruit
5. Cow Berry
6. Chocoberry
7. Bonsai Buds
8. Death Flower
9. Money Tree
10. Fang Flower (Tentacle Tree)
    amapola76
    New Adventurer
    "Simmerville;d-1010465" wrote:

A few plants are (probably) not real, but simmish (typically from Sixam), and if you want to suggest climate zones for the following short list, feel free :)

1. U.F.O. fruit
    2. Growfruit
    3. Glow Orb
    4. Quill Fruit
    5. Cow Berry
    6. Chocoberry
    7. Bonsai Buds
    8. Death Flower
    9. Money Tree
    10. Fang Flower (Tentacle Tree)

I would exclude chocoberry from this list. Granted, real chocolate is derived from seeds from a cacao tree rather than berries from a shrub, but it's close enough, as opposed to something like a money tree or U.FO. fruit. As such, given the real-life climate for cacao trees, for your purposes I would grow it alongside plantains, avocados, and pineapples, for example.