Forum Discussion

Armika74
Seasoned Vanguard
2 months ago

Sims won´t use sink?

My sims won´t use the sink to do dishes, they pick up the plate and put it down again🙄 I have to put dishwashers in every household or drag the dishes myself. It does not matter if they have the slob trait or not and it has been like this for a long time. Is it a bug or what?

alanmichael1
    Seasoned Hotshot

I had that problem too some days ago and the low hanging cabinet was the reason.

Armika74
      Seasoned Vanguard

In some of my households I don´t even have cabinets so it can´t be that 😶

MDianaSims
      Seasoned Hotshot

This actually was the issue for me. Usually when I get a new sink, it's because of a kitchen update - and that usually includes kitchen cabinets. 

I don't think this happened before the sink type update, because I've frequently used kitchen cabinets over sinks before. 

joleaco
    Seasoned Rookie

When this happens in my game it is usually when a sim has put a plate somewhere weird that they can't reach. I have to put the all the walls up and have a look around to find the errant plates and drag them to where they can be reached or just straight over to the sink.

It is very annoying, I don't know why they can place plates in unreachable locations in the first place.

Armika74
      Seasoned Vanguard

It doesn´t matter where the plates are in the house, they refuse to use the sinks 😶

SheriGR
        Hero

Does it happen if you put a free-standing, accessible sink in the middle of the room with nothing near it or above it and with MOO turned off when placing it, then assign it as a kitchen sink? Does it happen on different lots in this save? Does it happen in a fresh save?
        Can you share a screenshot (with all walls up around it) of the sink and any thought bubble they have when you tell them to wash a dish after designating all other sinks as bathroom and this one as kitchen (move the dishwasher to household inventory for this test)?

• Do you have any custom sinks or such that may interfere with normal functioning of sinks?

MDianaSims
    Seasoned Hotshot

This happens in my game as well. It has to with setting the sink type to kitchen or bathroom. For me, i think, it started happening once I change an existing sink for a new one in build mode. But I can't exactly pinpoint it. Setting sinks back to be usable for both kitchen and bathroom will likely fix this issue. But then sims will also do dishes in the bathroom again 🙃

manzana0807
    Seasoned Traveler

Do you have any low hanging lights or cabinets, etc. over the sink? I've found that will cause routing issues.

• You should also check to see what the designation for that sink is. We now have the ability to choose, kitchen, bathroom, or both. If this isn't the problem, check to see if a cabinet is in the way as stated earlier.