Forum Discussion

jadonbakes
New Spectator
6 years ago

Strangerville: meant to stay strange

I was once among the misguided souls that believed a world with parasitic flora was an evil place to live. But I've learned: don't bother solving the mystery. Strangerville's charm is--who would have thought?--its strangeness.

One time I started a casual save in Strangerville: it was a bunch of vampires living in a creepy abandoned cathedral in Shady Acres. Their story had zero to do with solving the Strangerville mystery. But seeing those purple pods all over the ground, I felt compelled to start the daunting task of destroying the mother and cleaning up the world. I wished for a way to cheat the mystery away. But I was wrong. I just needed to change my perspective on Strangerville.

The pods are not an inconvenience: they are just part of the land. Being temporarily possessed is just a small side effect to moving to Strangerville. It's charming.

I know when you get deeper into the mystery (visit lab, open door, collect spores) the environmental problems outside escalate. But if you do nothing doesn't everything just kind of stay at the original level of strangeness? Like, sure there's intelligence officers sneaking around, there's a hoarde of casually possessed people. But the plant life doesn't take over, and the strange weather doesn't start to swirl... unless your meddling sim is actively investigating the source of the problem.

So I say, move your suburban family into Strangerville. Accept or ignore the strangeness if you choose. But don't bother changing it. As SimGuruSalo said: "ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ҜŇØŴŞ ΔŁŁ ĐØ ŇØŦ Ř€ŞIŞŦ Ħ€Ř" Charming.