Forum Discussion

5 years ago

We need the ability to change lighting color/intensity in build mode...

In Sims 3, you could simply use 'Ctrl + Shift' and then click on a light to set the color/intensity (in buy/build mode)... it was so convenient when building community lots (like bars, clubs, etc).

In Sims 4, however, we're required to go into live mode in order to change light colors/intensity... which often gets VERY annoying! Especially when you wanna build community lots with different colored lights! It has been over FIVE years since The Sims 4 was released... and we haven't even gotten ANY patch that allows us to do this! It's highly frustrating... a lot of my ideas for bars and nightclubs include using special colored lights, but it's very hard to do this when you can't simply change the color/intensity in build mode.

And before anyone tries to be snarky by telling me " you can just have a Sim visit the lot after building it and change it then", I KNOW I can do that... however, as I said, it's VERY annoying how that's the only way to do this... we should be able to change the lighting from build mode (like we could in Sims 3).

I'm frustrated... :rage:
    alexspoom13
    Seasoned Rookie
    I totally agree! For this reason alone I rarely ever bother changing the lights.

Also on a slightly unrelated note, I always play with the headlineeffects off cheat and to change colour/intensity you have to disable this each time.
  • I would like this option as well. I prefer building without sims on the lot so I have unlimited funds and all objects are unlocked. And now I have to move in sims to adjust the lighting.
    tcikes
    New Spectator
    Yes, this should be a no-brainer. It was obviously an oversight that they didn't bother to correct (yet). :)
  • Was trying to find a way to change light color in Build Mode and then found this thread. The reason why it is annoying is that everything inside the room will be affected by the light color, objects become yellowish color and it kinda misleading.
  • This has always always ALWAYS irked me! I'm a build/buy CC creator so I enter/exit the game often to test things and 9 times outta 10 I only have "my" things I want to test in my mods folder because I'm using a "test" save on an empty lot with a shell box.

If you're not opposed to mods/cc ..... there are several mods that allow you to change the lights while in build mode.

thepancake1 & MizoreYukii have one (I have not tried this one yet.)
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/edit-lights-in-1-50761483

And TwistedMexi has updated the Better Build/Buy mod to include this, which is the one I that I am using. With his you just shift/left click on the light and you get the exact same options as you do in live mode to adjust color/intensity.
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/54871082

• Totally irks me too! Used to it now, but it is irritating. Especially if there are no played Sims on the lot that one is working on. Switching modes back and forth is irritating enough, but that's the metaphorical "Irk Icing of the cake".

@Chicklet453681 Thanks for the link to TwistedMexi's Build/Buy mod. I'm installing that right away. Didn't realize it also allows TOOL while in build mode. Excellent!