Forum Discussion

4 years ago

What are the exact limitations of TS4 game engine?

We know that The Sims 4 uses a game engine that was originally built for online gameplay but was modified to support the single player game we have today. However I don't recall the developers ever really explaining what are the specific limitations and capabilities of the engine. I would like to know why we can't have bigger worlds, open neighborhoods, complex emotions or traits, and better story progression.
All of these issues are blamed on the game engine but never really explained in depth. I would also like to know if it's possible for TS4 game engine to be further upgraded.
    Sigzy_29
    New Spectator
    "bixters;c-17848594" wrote:
    "drake_mccarty;c-17848259" wrote:
    We don’t really know since the producers arbitrarily assign blame to technology even when the technology supports features they just didn’t want to make. Apartments are a great example since a producer said it was a aesthetic choice to make them bad not necessitated by technology.

I'm still annoyed about apartments. There's no reason we can't make them in game. All the technology is there. We got the roommate system in Discover University- how is that any different from living in an apartment building? And it wouldn't even require a loading screen. Then they just need to unlock elevators, trash chutes and wall mailboxes.
    I think they were afraid of players building apartment buildings that were too big and would break the game, but why do they just cancel the feature completely? I don't understand why they could not have just put a restriction on the number of residents in the apartment building. It's like they think we can't handle our own games, like what Chicklet453681said earlier.

Well...first and foremost lots in TS4 cannot have more than 1 household. When you get a roomate I believe they are part of the household, just not selectable/controlable, that's why there's a cap of 9 roomates per lot if you have one controllable sim there. Which tbh brings up the question as to why it's not a max of 10 sims with pets too. A bit bizarre. In TS3 you could have 8 sims and then 2 pets same in TS2 if I'm not mistaken. Honestly I hate Cats and Dogs...it's so half ass.

But yeah in reality the tech isn't there. It was there in TS2 though...a game from 2004 lol You can pretend that you live in apartment by putting roommates in a separate building in the same lot but you still have to be mindful of that gap.

The apartments and penthouses in TS4 are tbh even worse than in TS3....the elevators aren't even animated, it's just set dressing for a teleporter and you can't put more wherever.
    Lonewolf1044
    Seasoned Spectator
    For me every feature like Apts tend to be gimped and with that creativity suffers.
  • Some limitations come from how the game was set up in the first place, like how we cannot edit worlds. Watch the vid posted by another user and you will find out more. James did ask some good questions like why not give toggles and world editing tools. They would have added more flexablity to some features if they were to go back to the first stages of the game being designed, but we are long past that stage so that would be very hard. There are some good news though, story progression is totally possible, their reasoning for it not being included yet was mentioned in that same vid.
    Sigzy_29
    New Spectator
    "SimmerJillerski;c-17826197" wrote:
    Recently, the developers have nerfed the in game textures of objects in the game to make the game easier to run and it is highly suspected that it is because the game is starting to struggle.

Lindsay talks about the engine somewhat in her Q&A with James Turner, however, It's important to keep in mind the background with how the game was created when it was "Project Olympus" and when there's mention of "what they could have done differently" and "adding flexibility" there was only so much they could do because of the limitations of the engine.
    (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKzjiiox0Fk)

Edit: Another great video in reference to "Project Olympus"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epxTbdLxc7o

For real? I haven't noticed this...
    Sigzy_29
    New Spectator
    "@Loanet;c-17826679" wrote:
    Sims 5 will probably use a different, newer engine, and different engines run games differently, even when they're almost the same game.

TS5 job openings mentioned the Unreal Engine. Which is a much more robust engine to use and probably easier to modify. Also...it's used in a lot of online games.... While EA has an in-house engine, the Frostbite, I'm not sure how good it is...it definitely has amazing graphics but I'm not sure how complicated it would be to use it and modify it. The studio that made Mass Effect Andromeda had tons of problems with it allegedly.