Forum Discussion

6 years ago

What Don't You Like About Outdoor Retreat?

Outdoor Retreat always seems to rate low on "Favourite Game Pack" polls. I love the outdoors and love camping. The little world looks stunning since the release of seasons. But I can't bring myself to buy Outdoor Retreat due to the negative polling.

So (if you're not crazy about Outdoor Retreat) what makes it a less-than-wonderful pack? Or, if you like it, what makes it under-rated? Should I get it?
  • "Daephene;c-17052836" wrote:
    "telmarina;c-17050597" wrote:
    I'm thinking that it might be a nice pack to acquire if we can place different community lots, as many has stated that they do. But will a bar or a spa has any visitors during our family vacation? Or will they be alone, if we replace the remaining residential lots for community ones?

I put a restaurant in mine, and the restaurant was just as busy as the ones in the main neighborhoods. It was definitely not just other sims who were camping, because my sim from Del Sol Valley showed up and he was at home when I saved his household.

I like to keep one big family cabin, one romantic couples cabin, and a campground, just so I can go there with different families and have different experiences. But I don't think removing all but one of them would keep visitors away from the community lots.

I like Outdoor Retreat mostly. Adding a couple of community lots gives the sims more variety for their entertainment, for sims who aren't super into fishing and such. The only thing I don't like is hunting for bugs and plants. I haven't found an easy way to search with all the trees.

You have to move the camera in close to get underneath the trees (you won't be able to see the insects, anyway, from far away). It helps to check Carl's guide, so that you know which plants and insects are found in what part of the park - only a few of the plants spawn in the campground area. Some are found in the National Park, and for the morel mushrooms, the best place to look is in the Deep Woods.
  • @Daephene thank you for the reply. Sounds super cool. I'll go for it!
  • @invisiblgirl I think what I really want is to be able to click on the sim and tell him/her to go hunt for bugs rather than scrolling around the screen for them myself. I lose track of where I am on the map when I zoom in close enough to avoid the trees.
  • "Daephene;c-17053817" wrote:
    @invisiblgirl I think what I really want is to be able to click on the sim and tell him/her to go hunt for bugs rather than scrolling around the screen for them myself. I lose track of where I am on the map when I zoom in close enough to avoid the trees.

I kind of like finding them myself, but then, while I was waiting for them to put my toddlers back in the game, I played a lot of hidden object games. Regardless, it's a lot more difficult without the Sims 3 map.
  • The idea of camping is interesting, just think that more could have been done with it. Also, I really like the "secrets" of vacation worlds in both sims 2 and 3, but for outdoor retreat it is beyond meh. Perfect opportunity to implement the yeti again, and some task in order for him to be summoned, and then some special things that is given/learned from the yeti or what not.
  • I love this pack! I'm not into RL camping stuff, but Granite Falls makes a very nice and tranquil contrast to the other worlds. The forest is very nice, and I did not adjust the buildings yet. I prefer going there to stay in a tent, just to make a bigger difference from my sims' everyday life. My sims normally stay just a few days, and mostly sims collecting berries etc will go. With Seasons this pack became 10 times more interesting because it's changing, and - you might get a dreadful vacation (which is reflecting RL pretty well). With clubs it's cool sending a group into the woods.

What I dislike? Hm, at times there seems to be too many ppl walking in those "wild" forests. Also the bears can be annoying, but I do accept them as a substitute for the miss wild animals. Although I love the silence in the woods, there could have been something more to do. I'm hoping for a hotel pack in the future, might turn the biggest lot into a small and primitive hotel :)