Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Why can't we choose to play and not apply an update?

I thought I turned off the update download option (if that's even possible). But I wanted to play Sims 4 without turning off my internet (because I listen to youtube while I play, usually) so I didn't download that high school update or whichever one messed up peoples' games. Then I saw an update downloaded and I had no option to play the game without applying the update. Why is that?? Can updates be rolled back? Are the issues with that update fixed? I'm so frustrated.
  • As far as I know, there is no way to roll back an update.

Yeah, I'm not digging the forced updates. That's pretty crappy forcing stuff on players who have decided they don't want certain features in their personal game, but if they choose not to update, then they can't play the game they bought.

Maybe this is their way of testing the waters on how a TS5 "online only" type of game will be. Not for me, for sure.
  • Fyi. You only need to go offline on Origin or turn off your wifi as you log into Origin and keep the page as offline. Once your logged in and Origin is set as "offline," you can turn your wifi back on right away and keep it on while listening to music.

Then Origin should stay offline as long as you don't set it back online by clicking a button for it. If for whatever reason you can't find your library page (sometimes if it's offline Origin won't load the library page) on Origin, just right click on the Origin tab icon and select "Sims 4" to launch the game offline and not through the Library.

But make sure you have automatic game updates turned off in your Origin setting. If your online Origin will try to force you to update but you can go offline for that and it cant force you that way (unless it goes automatically in which case there isn't anything you can do).

Edit: by "turn off wifi" I mean just disconnect from it.
  • I thought I turned off automatic updates. The previous time I played I literally disconnected my internet. And clicked whatever I could in Origin and Sims 4 that looked like it related to updates. I guess my error was thinking I could be online again thinking it was safe. Thanks for the tips.

"BlueR0se;c-18174944" wrote:
    Fyi. You only need to go offline on Origin or turn off your wifi as you log into Origin and keep the page as offline. Once your logged in and Origin is set as "offline," you can turn your wifi back on right away and keep it on while listening to music.

Then Origin should stay offline as long as you don't set it back online by clicking a button for it. If for whatever reason you can't find your library page (sometimes if it's offline Origin won't load the library page) on Origin, just right click on the Origin tab icon and select "Sims 4" to launch the game offline and not through the Library.

But make sure you have automatic game updates turned off in your Origin setting. If your online Origin will try to force you to update but you can go offline for that and it cant force you that way (unless it goes automatically in which case there isn't anything you can do).

• "BlueR0se;c-18174944" wrote:
    Fyi. You only need to go offline on Origin or turn off your wifi as you log into Origin and keep the page as offline. Once your logged in and Origin is set as "offline," you can turn your wifi back on right away and keep it on while listening to music.

Very useful information if origin actually respects settings to not update automatically. Unfortunately with the last origin update this no longer worked. Turning into origin into offline mode made it impossible to play. And going online would require a forced 'repair' which was in reality a forced update. A lot of simmers were forced to update and that was not because we don't know how to play offline. It was because the origin update made it impossible to play offline. After the horrible forced update, I managed to play offline again but the damage was already done. I can now 'enjoy' all the bugs and features I can't opt out off. Let's hope the next patch won't mess up the game even more. At this point I have zero hope for future patches to improve the game anymore.

So going forward I would not let origin get online in any way while I try to postpone an update. Pull the plug or go into airplane mode. Don't count on putting origin in offline mode manually.

If this is indeed a test run for sims 5,then count me out.
  • "Atreya33;c-18175208" wrote:

Very useful information if origin actually respects settings to not update automatically. Unfortunately with the last origin update this no longer worked. Turning into origin into offline mode made it impossible to play. And going online would require a forced 'repair' which was in reality a forced update. A lot of simmers were forced to update and that was not because we don't know how to play offline. It was because the origin update made it impossible to play offline. After the horrible forced update, I managed to play offline again but the damage was already done. I can now 'enjoy' all the bugs and features I can't opt out off. Let's hope the next patch won't mess up the game even more. At this point I have zero hope for future patches to improve the game anymore.

So going forward I would not let origin get online in any way while I try to postpone an update. Pull the plug or go into airplane mode. Don't count on putting origin in offline mode manually.

Hmm...while I believe you I'm not sure how this worked for me since as far as I know my Origin is up to date and I'm still playing in post-Werewolves but pre-sexual orientations + HSY patch. Maybe my Origin is not updated but the times Ive been playing it's been strictly offline start up. Idk.

Edit: Either way, I agree that the mandatory patches isnt fair. Especially since so many patches break the game and the HSY ones broke the game. I understand game development can be tricky business and the devs are doing their best, but I feel like we should be allowed to opt out esp on a paid product.

Ultimately, I feel like the mandatory updates thing is more of a corporation/business policy thing and maybe something not realistic to expect.
  • Thank you for the additional context! I hadn't heard any of this, just that the update was causing problems in peoples' games. I miss the old days when you could manually apply updates. But they weren't updating at Sims 4's rate back then. Mixed feelings because 4 needs the updates I guess, just not the bugs lol.

"Atreya33;c-18175208" wrote:

OldeSimsFan
    Seasoned Rookie
    The word 'control' comes to mind. Play their way or not at all. So, I've pulled the internet plug.
  • I'm still hoping the online aspect of TS5 will be minimal, but I could definitely see it using a similar update system. Unfortunately. These forced updates kinda make me think of Windows 10. Frustrating.

"Chicklet453681;c-18174924" wrote:
    As far as I know, there is no way to roll back an update.

Yeah, I'm not digging the forced updates. That's pretty crappy forcing stuff on players who have decided they don't want certain features in their personal game, but if they choose not to update, then they can't play the game they bought.

Maybe this is their way of testing the waters on how a TS5 "online only" type of game will be. Not for me, for sure.