Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Why don't Sims autonomously use skill building items anymore?

I remember that when Sims got Inspired, they used to play an instrument or paint a picture or mix some drinks, even though they'd never picked up the skill before. Now they don't do that anymore; the only thing they seem to do autonomously is play video games.

They don't even watch the Comedy channel autonomously anymore. And although these don't build skill, they used to also watch Action and Romance. Now all they care about is Sports.

Was this a conscious decision on the part of Maxis? I've always enjoyed letting my Sims do whatever they wanted, provided their needs weren't low. Why aren't Sims doing interesting things by themselves anymore?
  • Did you get the new pack and it has to do with likes and dislikes. Maybe that is the reason it doesn't fit in with what they possibly like? Or is that just about liking some colors etc. Maybe the new pack and patch broke the game.
  • It’s likely partly to do with what Cinebar said and people constantly complaining about sims autonomously using items. It probably got nerfed.
    Isharell
    New Spectator
    It may be the likes/dislikes. I told my sim she likes painting, now she starts painting on her own. Sometimes right before bed. LOL
  • "Isharell;c-17912373" wrote:
    It may be the likes/dislikes. I told my sim she likes painting, now she starts painting on her own. Sometimes right before bed. LOL

My sims are painting autonomously, instead of the hobbies they like (painting isn’t one of them) - I haven’t tried having them dislike painting yet, though. So I think the autonomy for painting is very high in general.
  • "comicsforlife;c-17912427" wrote:
    sims don't do anything they dislike autonomously

They’re not supposed to but I’ve seen it. My active sim kept exercising after I had her dislike fitness.
  • "comicsforlife;c-17912427" wrote:
    sims don't do anything they dislike autonomously

This is not true. Likes and Dislikes don't affect autonomy. All they do is give your sim a moodlet and increase or decrease fun based on if they like the activity or not.

My sims do autonomously use skill building items, but only if they have a certain trait (like creative sim will often autonomously paint) or if they have at least 1 level in the skill. Nobody touches the bar at all until I give one of my sims the mixology skill, then they're all over it.

But even still, sometimes all they do is watch TV and play video games (even if they don't have the skill)... Meh. :(