Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Disabled Sim Mods. Could it be a thing?

So maybe I'm just crazy, but since I spend a lot of time asleep I have a lot of vivid dreams, and since I play a lot of sims when I'm awake I have a lot of weird sims dreams. Recently I've been dealing with filing for disability so maybe that's part of the reason, but I had an interesting dream that I'd kind of like to see be a thing. Sims with disabilities.
While I know there's been some talk about whether or not it could be included as part of the main game and at least based on a few youtube videos and articles, seems like something the gurus have at least thought about adding, I was wondering if it might be something that the modding community could or maybe even has pulled off? (if it is, I'd love if I could be pointed towards some disabled sim mods)
But just, concept-wise, aside from the obvious sims in wheelchairs, what about having blind or deaf sims? How possible would that be and how might one pull it off? While I'm no script modder and can't really say I'm all that privvy to the internal mechanisms of the game itself, some random ideas I had for say, a blind sim, maybe having their auto-routing limited to enclosed spaces (i.e. against walls) and otherwise only being able to route in a straight line up to an object unless equipped with a cane or (with Pets EP) walking with a trained dog. Maybe for deaf and/or mute sims, having added skills for lip-reading and sign language, more expressive animations to represent sign-language, and limited social interactions based on their and other sims levels in lip-reading and/or sign language?
While I've seen the devs have at least brought up that they're looking into adding wheelchairs as an option, and that seems like something that may already exist within the modding community, was wondering if any other disabilities may be possible through modding, and would anyone else be interested in something like that? Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
  • I'd love autistic, ADHD, and social communicative disorder traits that were available- while these vary hugely by people, I'd love to see them becoming normalised and accepted in society. Invisible disabilities would be great, as well as physical. Even asthma inhalers, after running and sport.
    Goth583
    New Traveler
    I'm not sure if they still work but there were some traits on MTS that gave sims illnesses and disabilities like ADHD, IBD, etc... I'm sure there are modders working on it. You might look up SimRealist would be a good modder to create this, especially since they have the Private Practice Mod.
  • I think it'd be a good idea. I mean, sure, some disabilities may be hard to do, but basic ones (deafness, blindness, muteness (maybe..?), ADHD, and paralysis) would be good ideas.