Forum Discussion

PixelPrincezz
Rising Rookie
17 days ago

Game Freezing While Trying to Exit

Well, I've heard many people are experiencing trouble with the game, having issues that include freezing game, etc.; I'm not sure if anyone is having this exact same issue as I am though;

I've been building in game, I haven't been playing for a while so I'm not going on live mode, I just start game, load my save and go straight into build mode, everything was fine up until two or three days ago, I can build, save, etc., but when I try to exit game it just freezes the screen and I have to restart my computer, I've tried exiting to main menu and then exiting but I get stock in the loading screen and never make into the main menu.

Can anyone help me? I won't access the game again because I can't restart my PC every time I go into the game 😔

• josephwastaken  If you have any files in ConfigOverride, please delete them.  And if you use any mods or custom content, please move the Mods folder to the desktop and delete localthumbcache.package.  You don't need to save your progress.

Otherwise, please try playing in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you've moved but temporarily unread by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just start a new save and see how it runs.

If you get another crash, please provide a dxdiag.  Hit Windows key-R, enter dxdiag in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the file to your desktop.  From there, you can attach it to a reply using the camera (Insert Media) icon included with the other formatting buttons.

• PixelPrincezz  The dxdiag is a general system report, not a debugging tool.  So you can run it whenever you want and it won't make a difference overall.  The only time-related factor is that a dxdiag lists the last ten Windows errors, so if you ran it after NOT playing for a while, it might not show any Sims 4 errors.  But if you played yesterday and ran it today, it should be fine.

• josephwastaken  If you have any files in ConfigOverride, please delete them.  And if you use any mods or custom content, please move the Mods folder to the desktop and delete localthumbcache.package.  You don't need to save your progress.

Otherwise, please try playing in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you've moved but temporarily unread by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just start a new save and see how it runs.

If you get another crash, please provide a dxdiag.  Hit Windows key-R, enter dxdiag in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the file to your desktop.  From there, you can attach it to a reply using the camera (Insert Media) icon included with the other formatting buttons.

• puzzlezaddictI've done what you suggested josephwastaken to do and it seems to have helped; I only entered the game so I could save a house I was building to my library, then I moved the whole EA folder out and started again, I haven't tried to stay in game or in build/buy mode for too long to test if there will be no issues yet, but I wanted to thank you in advance for your support. If I have any problems later on I'll write here again. 🤩

• PixelPrincezz  Does this happen if you play in live mode?  You can test on a different save, or a new one, if you don't want to progress this save.

Please also provide a dxdiag.  Hit Windows key-R, enter dxdiag in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the file to your desktop.  From there, you can attach it to a reply using the camera (Insert Media) icon included with the other formatting buttons.

PixelPrincezz
      Rising Rookie

Hello, I haven't tried to go in live mode to test that...I'll try to start a new game to see if it changes anything.  Should I try this dxdiag while in game? Thank you.

• I’m having the same issue. It does also freeze when playing in Live mode. About 10-15 mins, the user interface will freeze and it has be shut down with cntrl alt delete. This started after the September update for me as well.

About The Sims 4 Technical Issues - PC

PC players get help with their technical issues in The Sims 4 here.432 PostsLatest Activity: 51 minutes ago