Forum Discussion

aeallbritton
Seasoned Newcomer
2 days ago

Sims 4 Crashing Repeatedly

So, like many others on here - I am having an issue with Sims 4 crashing all of a sudden when it never did before. I have tried:

Moving folder full of game data to my desktop

Complete uninstall and reinstall of EA

Multiple Repairs and restarts

Clearing caches

Chose Direct9 on game options and lowered from Ultra to High

Uploaded and installed new drivers for Nvidia, etc. 

Ran Malwarebytes and Windows defender

I have no CC or Mods installed for this game.

I did several other things as well. I have no idea what is going on, but to say that I am frustrated would be an understatement. I have spent hundreds of dollars on this game and 70+ expansions. I need a fix ASAP. I am attaching my DxDiag to this for support. Please help!

• aeallbritton  The crashes in your dxdiag look like other crashes I've seen on similar hardware to yours, and these crashes have been related to XMP and/or CPU Turbo Boost.  Some users have reported that it helped to update their BIOS: the motherboard's software that controls basic functions.  And your system apparently has a new BIOS available:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r16-desktop/drivers

I would strongly recommend double-checking that this is the right download page before installing anything.  You can click This Device and enter your service tag, and if you're still on that page, it's the right one.  For reference, your BIOS version is 2.10.1, and the version listed on the site above is 2.12.0.

If this doesn't help, please disable both XMP and CPU Turbo Boost in the BIOS.  XMP should be easy to find, and switching it off is as simple as clicking the button.  CPU Turbo Boost may be hidden in Advanced settings and called something slightly different—it varies from one manufacturer to another.  But it's almost certainly in there somewhere on a high-end machine like yours.

aeallbritton
      Seasoned Newcomer

I am knocking on wood, but it seems like updating my BIOS has worked. Played for several hours without a crash tonight! Thank you!!!