Forum Discussion

bluntcard
Rising Rookie
5 days ago

Oddly relieved

I know this will not go over well, but I'm kind of ready to let go and move on. I'm ready to free up the space on my iPad that this game has hogged for 12 years. I'm ready to let go of the stress of whether I'll get booted off the game and not be able to get on for hours. 

The events are no longer fun. There is absolutely zero interaction with other players and that is so boring. 

I'm also stuck in nostalgia. I'm always hoping Halloween and Christmas will feel like it did in the beginning and it's always a disappointment. 

There are SO MANY characters and event suggestions for real Simpson's fans that never happened. A Selma and Patty and Marge witch coven THOH event? Flying around on brooms? How easy and FUN would that have been, but no we got dinosaurs. LAME.

All kids being able to trick or treat from the Nightmare Pile at once? Never happened. 

Too many stupid, filler characters. So many great characters we never got but 7 versions of the Simpsons. 

Too many HUGE, ugly, out of proportion buildings. 

No storage search. 

There's too much land. They should have forced us a limited amount of space to keep server space lower and downloading quicker.  If you want to have a forest that takes up half your land then you can sacrifice buildings and place them in storage.  IMO. Everything became too big and unmanageable.

cookieburg
    Seasoned Newcomer

I’ve been thinking about quitting for a while because it sucks up too much free time, guess this will be the kick I need to actually do it. I’m still annoyed about the timing though. My town looked pretty good before the last update, and I would have taken a screenshot then if I had known what was coming. Then I started a big overhaul after they released all that land, and now the whole right side of my town is a mess of half-finished projects I can no longer find any motivation to work on.

100% agree on the list of flaws. The Halloween and Christmas events were always my favorites, but they’ve been disappointing the last few years. 

• Part of me will be relieved also. I'm busily screen capping with the aim of stitching together a high-res town portrait, so I won't miss scrolling around the town itself.  But one thing I'll really miss are the character animations. I wish there were an easy way to preserve them.

• I feel you. I’m passionate about building a lush, funny Springfield with all kinds of interesting spaces. But at some point I started regretting time spent in a joyless slog through half-baked, increasingly lame events. They are out of quality material—they have tapped the well (pun convenient). The game has lived a full life and I will mourn it like I would a pet, but sometimes euthanasia is the best solution for an entity whose quality of life has steeply declined. I am literally crying right now. 

• "I know this will not go over well, but I'm kind of ready to let go and move on."

There is nothing wrong with this feeling at all. Today's games are designed to make you feel like you have to keep playing. To earn an achievement, finish a quest, maintain a streak, etc. etc. These things turn games into jobs. And while there is still some enjoyment of playing, it can take the pure enjoyment out of it.

Game designers are smart. They know how to hook people (especially younger people) and keep them playing (spending). 

So enjoy your feeling of freedom.

• I understand the sentiment too.  I wish they had gone to 4 good events a year, and not the endless cookie cutter updates. 

I will live with the end but would really like a local version that doesn't need the server, and allows me to visit.