Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Update--just curious

For events like this, it can't be an automatic in-game update. It has to be downloaded from the store, presumably because of the size of the update and the approvals needed (i.e., from Apple). That being said, on iOS, your app store should automatically let you know when updates are available, so you should know fairly quickly. Pretty sure Google Play does the same thing, although I don't know what the turn around time is like. They can, and do, sometimes force users to update after a few days if they want to continue playing but that already leaves you a few days behind.
  • TAGSfan60982 wrote:
    If I hadn't come here I wouldn't know there was an update as I had to update it myself in the App Store. What about those who play but don't read the forums? How long before their game updates? Or will it update? And why doesn't it automatically update every time?

Just wondering

If you don't know about the update, generally visiting friends will say something like "this user has newer content time to update" when you try to enter someone's town who has updated.
  • This image is from the Google play store. If you have android, do you have this box checked in the upper right corner?

The box is visible after tapping the 3-dot menu icon. (It's a menu with this one option)

I've noticed events do send a push notification to those who have them activated for the game, but the notification does not distribute on launch day. I assume to prevent everyone from rushing to respond simultaneously.

By coming here, you are joining the early birds who want their worm! :P
  • TAGSfan60982 wrote:
    If I hadn't come here I wouldn't know there was an update as I had to update it myself in the App Store. What about those who play but don't read the forums? How long before their game updates? Or will it update? And why doesn't it automatically update every time?

Just wondering

Your device should have an option to automatically download updates.
  • I had been off the forums for a few days and didn't realize that there was an update, either. With small files, my game updates automatically. But with events, I've had to download from the AppStore every time.

I have a Kindle (Android), so I don't know if that makes a difference :?:
  • GeminiTina wrote:

I'm just back from vacation and have been out of the loop. I "finished" my friends before I realized something was wrong. Instead of getting the usual message or crash, when using the arrows to go between friends, it just skipped over the ones that updated. When I finished friends in an oddly quick time I investigated , then clicked the skip overs and was given the message about newer content. Needless to say, my usually prompt updating is behind in this event, but I'm started now. I can see how it might take some longer to realize if they don't notice the skip overs.

Almost exactly what happened to me, except that I only had time to log into the game last night, not read the forums, and all of my neighbor visits went fine last night (I thought!) It was only tonight after breezing through mine that I realized that something was wrong. Feeling way behind right now, hopefully I can catch up!
  • I have auto updates disabled on my Android tablet because I like to kick it off when I want to, rather than let it do it on its own.... partly for data saving reasons. But it tells me when there's updates for my apps, and I never had a problem with it letting me know there was an update.

Whenever I finally get an iPhone, maybe I'll experience this problem more often? *shrug*
  • Thank you everybody.

Server issues here with no internet since yesterday around 1 central time so I'm just getting started