Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Double drop ending with sept 24th? [MERGED]

So is this correct? Why does double drop say it ends in 9 hours when the announcement says it runs till the 25th. The first minute of the 25th only? This could suck balls.

• "Ben_Tlightsaber;c-1285156" wrote:
    "Nikoms565;c-1284064" wrote:
    "skywhopper;c-1284051" wrote:
    22nd to 25th still should _include_ the 25th, I would think, given that it included the 22nd but not the 21st...

You'd be wrong. "to" means "until". If it included 9/25, the word would have been "through".

You are incorrect. In English, going "to" something always includes the end target. If you go to the grocery store, that doesn't mean you stop in the street outside the parking lot. If you rate a mobile game in the app store on a scale of 1 to 5 stars, that doesn't mean the highest possible rating is 4 stars. If you go to a music festival that runs September 22-25, it's a four day festival. Always.

The language was not in any way ambiguous. It was simply incorrect.

In game timer.
  • "Nikoms565;c-1285161" wrote:
    "Ben_Tlightsaber;c-1285156" wrote:
    22nd to 25th still should _include_ the 25th, I would think, given that it included the 22nd but not the 21st...

You'd be wrong. "to" means "until". If it included 9/25, the word would have been "through".

You are incorrect. In English, going "to" something always includes the end target. If you go to the grocery store, that doesn't mean you stop in the street outside the parking lot. If you rate a mobile game in the app store on a scale of 1 to 5 stars, that doesn't mean the highest possible rating is 4 stars. If you go to a music festival that runs September 22-25, it's a four day festival. Always.

In game timer.

The in-game timer was obviously correct. The announcements in-game and on the forums were incorrect. Just pointing out the facts.
  • "Nikoms565;c-1285161" wrote:

In game timer.

Are you a boy? Cause you are obviously a CG fan.

You tell people off for "changing lane" and do it yourself, starting by saying that "to" was the end all be all of the argument and now shifting to "Read the small print".

"To" or "-" mean that it includes the day that are typed. That's how companies in the US do it, that's how the world do it and so that's how people assumed CG did it.

Did most people read the "small print"(timer), of course not, for the same reason that when I order at restaurant I look at the picture and expect to get what's on the pic and will get mad if something is missing, even if the food item wasn't in the description.
  • "Ben_Tlightsaber;c-1285156" wrote:

This is 100% correct.
  • "DarthKijutsu;c-1285292" wrote:
    "Nikoms565;c-1285161" wrote:

In game timer.

Are you a boy? Cause you are obviously a CG fan.

You tell people off for "changing lane" and do it yourself, starting by saying that "to" was the end all be all of the argument and now shifting to "Read the small print".

"To" or "-" mean that it includes the day that are typed. That's how companies in the US do it, that's how the world do it and so that's how people assumed CG did it.

Did most people read the "small print"(timer), of course not, for the same reason that when I order at restaurant I look at the picture and expect to get what's on the pic and will get mad if something is missing, even if the food item wasn't in the description.

Lol - always fun to engage in conversation with people who open with personal insults. To answer you question and accusation, no, I am an adult and if you have read any other threads in the forums, would quickly realize I am anything but a CG "fan". A quick scan of the 5*/7* TB thread, the 20k crystal thread or even the platoon "fix" thread would be clear evidence that I call out CG whenever they are being misleading, gouging or otherwise partaking in activities that go against the playerbase.

Second, "pick a lane" is a phrase used to call to attention when someone is arguing opposite sides of the same argument - which is what many are doing by suggesting that the wording was ambiguous...and yet not ambiguous enough for them to even glance at the in game timer or seek clarification. "pick a lane" has nothing to do with making multiple arguments to support a point. I have stated several times that the wording was ambiguous - that "to" in "American English" can mean "until" or "through" (in England and other parts of the world it is automatically inclusive). Which is why looking at the in game timer is a good idea.

You see, one holds together logically (ambiguous wording? Then double check the timer) - the other does not (ambiguous wording? Then ignore other sources of information). For those suggesting that "to" can never mean until and only means through, if you Google it, you will find much debate on the topic - which seems indicate that that it is not entirely decided. In fact the question was asked directly on 9/22 - and a moderator made a very clear answer:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/134734/when-do-double-drops-end

I also think describing the timer as "small print" is disingenuous, as it was on the home page of everyone's cantina in-game - and it was constant, as opposed to the announcement on the forums. Which was not in your face throughout the duration event.

As always, players are free to ignore in-game timers, posts on the forums and blame others for what they believe is them being "ripped off". And when CG does things that are misleading or disingenuous or subversive, I will post nasty things about them here, hand out pitchforks and help light the torches. This is not one of those times.

• "Nikoms565;c-1285880" wrote:

You see, one holds together logically (ambiguous wording? Then double check the timer) - the other does not (ambiguous wording? Then ignore other sources of information). For those suggesting that "to" can never mean until and only means through, if you Google it, you will find much debate on the topic - which seems indicate that that it is not entirely decided. In fact the question was asked directly on 9/22 - and a moderator made a very clear answer:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/134734/when-do-double-drops-end

Again, there is no ambiguity. Stating an event runs to the 25th includes the day of the 25th. The only legitimate grammatical debate between "to" and "through" is whether "through" would include 12:00am of the 26th (since "through" sometimes indicates the full duration and beyond).

Using a quote from an EA moderator does not provide any new evidence since we already know they are using date ranges incorrectly. You have provided no other evidence to support your position other than vague references to people on the internet sometimes disagreeing. On the other hand, every single other example provided in this thread has consistently reinforced the correct usage.

I honestly don’t care about the double drops and I’m not whining. I think it was a simple grammar mistake. I just care about the English language.

To be fair to the Developers, in many programming languages a range does not include the end number due to coding being true/false in nature. It’s an easy mistake for a programmer to falsely apply that meaning to other data sets. According the official rules of English though, and mathematics as well for that matter, a range always includes the end number.

The bottom line is don’t trust the written language and only rely on the coding (timer). It’s been proven many times that the former can be false.
  • I got 0 shards enough during double drops to not care about when it ended... Especially after paying 50 or 100 crystals to refresh
  • "Ben_Tlightsaber;c-1286090" wrote:
    "Nikoms565;c-1285880" wrote:

Again, there is no ambiguity. Stating an event runs to the 25th includes the day of the 25th. The only legitimate grammatical debate between "to" and "through" is whether "through" would include 12:00am of the 26th (since "through" sometimes indicates the full duration and beyond).

Using a quote from an EA moderator does not provide any new evidence since we already know they are using date ranges incorrectly. You have provided no other evidence to support your position other than vague references to people on the internet sometimes disagreeing. On the other hand, every single other example provided in this thread has consistently reinforced the correct usage.

I honestly don’t care about the double drops and I’m not whining. I think it was a simple grammar mistake. I just care about the English language.

@Ben_Tlightsaber

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/to

Please note definition 3, specifically where it talks about numerical ranges and substitutes "until" in place of "to". If the developer had said "9/22 until 9/25" it would be the same ambiguity. Everyone agrees that the date range should have been more clear. (i.e. "9/22, 9/23 and 9/24" or even a simple range in hours "starting at 12:01 on 9/22 and going for 72 hours") But to imply there is no ambiguity when an American uses the word "to" in a date range is simply not correct, because to a European English speaker, "to" is inclusive of the end date - to an American English speaker "to" can also mean "until" (as per the link to the Merriam-Webster definition). Clearly, "until" is not inclusive (as someone who was told as a teenager that I could play loud music until my father got home, I can assure you that that time range certainly did NOT include him being in the house).

All of the above is simply to suggest that I agree with your final statement about looking at the timer. ;)