Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Grand Arena scoring

Change GAC scoring to award the territory points in territories not cleared to the defender, for preventing a full clear.

GAC does not take defensive prowess into consideration and players with streamlined rosters have an advantage over those with robust rosters. As a result, weak defenses that yield massive points are rewarded because their offense yields even more points. But this is almost always because streamlined rosters face relatively weaker opponents, on average, that allow them to amass many more points than thicker rosters that they would have almost no chance of beating head to head. This makes no sense.

At the top of the division, the defenses are harder because a 7.7M roster has a lot more relics than a 7M GP roster, so even against a “weak” D, you still can’t likely get as many points, even if both defenses are relatively weak.

I propose a simple change: if the defending territory does not get conquered, award those points to the defender. The result would be that winning via full clear v full clear would result in fewer overall points than with a full clear and holding a section on D, which is clearly a more impressive win.

The result would be that players who consistently set weak defenses and go for efficient offensive clears will get fewer points than players who full clear and prevent their opponents from clearing, which seems much more consistent with the values of growing ones roster.
  • And encourage even more players to set heavy defense or just auto-deploy, and do little or nothing on offense? No thanks.

You already get banners for deploying defense and if that squad / fleet holds until the end of the match you also deny your opponent the banners they would have got for beating that squad/fleet and for conquering the zone. It works fine.
    crzydroid
    Seasoned Traveler
    "Matithyahu;c-2291714" wrote:
    “The best strategy has always been balanced defenses, and never leaning too heavily in one direction.

The scoring rewards offense. +6/-6 matters if you are going for Kyber and a top finish. The best strategy is for maximum points on offense. If I hit an auto D and I can’t clear two sections, my score is 2700 and not 3100 - that matters.

Yes, points matter. It's geared towards offense now. But you're suggesting a mode which rewards defense, which is just flipping the script, and that doesn't matter. Whether you give the defender points for clearing a territory or rob points from the attacker for failing to clear doesn't matter. But it makes more sense to reward offense because of auto setters or people who just don't attack.

And the strategy is to maximize offensive banners given a win. If you set too weak of teams on D, your opponent will outscore you and you will not get the bonus points from that, which is a lot. So if you want consistent Kyber and a high final rank, you need wins. Therefore, a good defense is also important, which is why I say balance is the best strategy.
    crzydroid
    Seasoned Traveler
    Conquering a teritory yields a bunch of points, so you're already robbed of those points if you can't get through. These arguments occasionally crop up, but really have no merit. It doesn't matter if you get +6 points one way or -6 the opposite way, your score is still the same. Someone setting a weak defense can never benefit from it, because your opponent can just underdog it for more points. Whereas even if you save your strongest for attack, you are dropping banners. Broad rosters definitely do have the advantage here. Since you are only matched on your top X toons, it is possible to have a roster that's TOO lean.

The best strategy has always been balanced defenses, and never leaning too heavily in one direction.
  • "Rath_Tarr;c-2291434" wrote:
    And encourage even more players to set heavy defense or just auto-deploy, and do little or nothing on offense? No thanks.

An auto deploy defense under my scoring system would give the player who actually plays - the one that did not set auto D - more points because they get points for clearing, and for the opponent not clearing. If a good player is against an auto D currently, that will probably keep them from a top finish.
  • “The best strategy has always been balanced defenses, and never leaning too heavily in one direction.

The scoring rewards offense. +6/-6 matters if you are going for Kyber and a top finish. The best strategy is for maximum points on offense. If I hit an auto D and I can’t clear two sections, my score is 2700 and not 3100 - that matters.
    perfidius44
    Rising Newcomer
    "Matithyahu;c-2291714" wrote:

You’re right, the system rewards offense; probably because it’s more fun this way. What players can do is embrace this, play offensively and clear anyway when opponent auto deploy.
    As DarjeloSalas explained it, one of the main issue with your idea is giving even more points to players who are lucky enough to face players who dont play because reasons. It may be the soccer fan talking, but I’ll add that a rule that rewards defense usually makes the game less fun ;)