Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Mods - Stat Calculations

Let's try and keep this conversation productive please. Lol

I thought Mods were changed to only be a percent change in stats, yet I see many mods that are giving straight boosts to a stat. The % makes sense because it scales with gear but have an integer value increase the stat makes the scaling exponentially more.

For instance, for me to increase speed on Rex seems better to use level 5 Health Mods with big speed numbers on it, rather than Speed Mods with the % Speed set bonuses. I figured the set bonus would be pretty solid from Speed Mods but it's not. My Rex with HP mods with speed secondary stats is at 198 versus speed mods with the 2 and 4 piece set bonus to 162. How does that make sense?

• "Darth_Jay77;57224" wrote:

I thought Mods were changed to only be a percent change in stats, yet I see many mods that are giving straight boosts to a stat. The % makes sense because it scales with gear but have an integer value increase the stat makes the scaling exponentially more.

Only primary stats were changed that way (see here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/55700/game-update-7-15-2016#latest): "Mod primary stats will no longer have an option to have flat values Offense, Defense, Health, or Protection as a Primary Stat. All preexisting Mods that had these assigned will be automatically converted over to their percentage-based counterpart."

Whether this change makes sense or not is a complete different discussion.

For instance, for me to increase speed on Rex seems better to use level 5 Health Mods with big speed numbers on it, rather than Speed Mods with the % Speed set bonuses. I figured the set bonus would be pretty solid from Speed Mods but it's not. My Rex with HP mods with speed secondary stats is at 198 versus speed mods with the 2 and 4 piece set bonus to 162. How does that make sense?

First, you're assuming that if a mods adds both, absolute and percent based stats, then the percent based stat increase will be applied after applying all absolute bonuses. That's wrong!

"Percentage-based stats ONLY affect those gained through other progression means (Character Star Rarity, Levels, and Gear). They do not affect any stats gained through the Mod feature (meaning they do not compound with themselves)."

Second, why should you assume that percent based bonuses (given by sets or by mods) does give better stats than absolute bonuses? It's percent based - hence totally depended on your base stat. If your Rey has 160 base speed, +15% bonus is +24 speed, which is solid but of course less if compared to 6 mods with secondary boosts to speed (absolute, e.g. 6x6 speed = 36 speed bonus on secondary).

So to answer your question: Whether % or absolute increases is better is up to the base stats and you need to do the calculations by your own in order to make the right decision.

• "kartoffelSTAMPF;571328" wrote:
    "Darth_Jay77;57224" wrote:

Only primary stats were changed that way (see here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/55700/game-update-7-15-2016#latest): "Mod primary stats will no longer have an option to have flat values Offense, Defense, Health, or Protection as a Primary Stat. All preexisting Mods that had these assigned will be automatically converted over to their percentage-based counterpart."

Whether this change makes sense or not is a complete different discussion.

First, you're assuming that if a mods adds both, absolute and percent based stats, then the percent based stat increase will be applied after applying all absolute bonuses. That's wrong!

"Percentage-based stats ONLY affect those gained through other progression means (Character Star Rarity, Levels, and Gear). They do not affect any stats gained through the Mod feature (meaning they do not compound with themselves)."

Second, why should you assume that percent based bonuses (given by sets or by mods) does give better stats than absolute bonuses? It's percent based - hence totally depended on your base stat. If your Rey has 160 base speed, +15% bonus is +24 speed, which is solid but of course less if compared to 6 mods with secondary boosts to speed (absolute, e.g. 6x6 speed = 36 speed bonus on secondary).

So to answer your question: Whether % or absolute increases is better is up to the base stats and you need to do the calculations by your own in order to make the right decision.

Okay, I missed where EA had made that post about the change.

I had made an assumption that speed mods would be used to make my character faster, so I farmed some mods to see what it actually looked like. I found that my HP mods with absolute speed values were better than speed mods with a speed set bonus. It is what it is, but doesn't that seem a little counter-intuitive? That would be like saying, I want my character to hit harder but farm defense mods instead because they have better offense stats than the offense mods.

This whole Mod thing gets confusing with all the secondary stats and what not. It seems like it would be more intuitive if the mods only worked on the stat category it belongs to. If you want a character to have more HP, get HP mods. You want them to be faster get Speed mods, not get a bunch of HP mods and pray for good RNG to get you the speed you want.

@CG_Kozispoon
  • It might be counter intuitive but really, I've learned to pay more attention to the primary (and sometimes the first secondary) stat increase.

I've got a crit chance up mod that adds 17 speed (I think it's a 2dot) which is pretty nice.

It seems like speed, potency, and +crit damage primary stats give you the most bang for your buck.

Protection is good too and I like +health for tanks and healers.

There are probably speed set mods that also have speed as a primary stat increase but frankly I don't have the resources to farm for them.
  • "Gaidal_Cain;571946" wrote:
    It might be counter intuitive but really, I've learned to pay more attention to the primary (and sometimes the first secondary) stat increase.

I've got a crit chance up mod that adds 17 speed (I think it's a 2dot) which is pretty nice.

It seems like speed, potency, and +crit damage primary stats give you the most bang for your buck.

Protection is good too and I like +health for tanks and healers.

There are probably speed set mods that also have speed as a primary stat increase but frankly I don't have the resources to farm for them.

Oh definitely, it's all about the other stats on the Mod; it's really crazy. The fact that multiple of the exact same Mod (by name) can have completely different stats. That's fine but then all MK V-A Health Receivers should have the same secondary stats. If the MK V-A Health Receive has 30-Speed Primary, Offense and Crit secondary, then they should ALL be that way. An MK V-B Health Receiver with should have a different set of secondary stats and so on. There is too much randomness in how the secondary stats are determined. How can you plan to build synergy into your team with Mods when you have no idea what you're getting when you upgrade a Mod; it should be known. We're not opening a box of chocolate creams.

@CG_NotReallyAJedi
    @CG_Kozispoon
  • "Darth_Jay77;571953" wrote:
    There is too much randomness in how the secondary stats are determined. How can you plan to build synergy into your team with Mods when you have no idea what you're getting when you upgrade a Mod; it should be known. We're not opening a box of chocolate creams.

@CG_NotReallyAJedi
    @CG_Kozispoon

That's the whole problem. Others have already calculated what the chances are to get exactly the one mod you're searching for and man, i tell you, chances are very very very low.

So, please, move on, by crystals to farm mods forever using the mod-slot-machine. At least this is the way EA/CG has predetermined for us.

• Speed mods only seem useful to characters that are already high speed base becuase then you get more off percentage boost. it kinda sucks because there basically designed to make fast characters super fast but they don't rly help slow characters become faster
  • "TrevorTheWookie;615897" wrote:
    Speed mods only seem useful to characters that are already high speed base becuase then you get more off percentage boost. it kinda sucks because there basically designed to make fast characters super fast but they don't rly help slow characters become faster

That's another great point. The Mod systems needs some re-balancing for sure.