Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Thrawn basic - don't understand?

I thought Speed Up would expire at the beginning of the toon's turn, making it effectively an uncleansable ability block, with a slight bonus that the turn in which you can only use basic comes sooner. But instead, Speed Up expires at the end of the toon's turn, making the ability block only the turn after, and giving plenty of time for other toons to cleanse it off. So what the is the point of it?
  • "Tuftedpaper85;c-1133272" wrote:
    You pretty much need a PhD in Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes Studies to understand how Thrawn's supposed to work..

But at least it's a PhD you can get in 10 mins
  • "Omeah;c-1133242" wrote:
    "Acrofales;c-1133230" wrote:
    "Omeah;c-1133212" wrote:
    Um, you guys haven't played this game ever? ALL buffs ALWAYS expire at the end of the character's turn, never at the start of it...

Darth Maul's stealth doesn't. It expires at the beginning of the turn and gives advantage. Meanwhile Teebo's stealth from Scramble Tactics expires at the end of a turn. So it's not obvious at all. Buffs can expire at the beginning of turn when CG feels like it. It looks like that should be the case here... yet it isn't.

My bad, there's ONE exception, which is a zeta leader buff. Yeah, now I understand how confusing it is

Actually, there's more. But that was the one that came to mind.
    "kristian1311;c-1133265" wrote:
    When I reading Thrawn's abilities my first thought on the basic was if you hit a taunting tank with it the speed up will make his taunt expire sooner.

Still trying to figure out the ability block. The fact that it applies speed up first, then switches to ability block that "can't be resisted" means I think you'd be able to apply ability block through tenacity up. Say Rex opens with cleanse/tenacity up, you hit GK with Thrawn's basic and he'll end up ability blocked even though he has tenacity up. I don't know, I don't have him so I haven't been able to try anything yet.

Making his kit complicated fits his lore but means the AI will be terrible with him.

Of course there are combos that make this downside either irrelevant or a plus. But the AI is bound to just toss it on some toon that you definitely don't want moving fast (such as Rex). If the point was to make AB "irresistable" and go through tenacity, the speed up bit seems wholly unnecessary and overly complex. Just give him an irresistable AB on basic (just like Vader's AB cannot be dodged (but can be resisted)), and remove all the complicated stuff that the AI will mess up.

And given how much of a clusterf... the AI for Thrawn is already (apparently), this is definitely not going to help.
  • "Tuftedpaper85;c-1133272" wrote:
    You pretty much need a PhD in Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes Studies to understand how Thrawn's supposed to work..

Now imagine how that poor AI feels when it has to use him...
  • "Acrofales;c-1133288" wrote:
    "Omeah;c-1133242" wrote:
    "Acrofales;c-1133230" wrote:
    "Omeah;c-1133212" wrote:
    Um, you guys haven't played this game ever? ALL buffs ALWAYS expire at the end of the character's turn, never at the start of it...

Darth Maul's stealth doesn't. It expires at the beginning of the turn and gives advantage. Meanwhile Teebo's stealth from Scramble Tactics expires at the end of a turn. So it's not obvious at all. Buffs can expire at the beginning of turn when CG feels like it. It looks like that should be the case here... yet it isn't.

My bad, there's ONE exception, which is a zeta leader buff. Yeah, now I understand how confusing it is

Actually, there's more. But that was the one that came to mind.

Yeah, I tried but found none else, but pls correct me if you find any
  • I'm still trying to figure out his kit after a couple of hours using different teams and figuring out difference cadences. I can't imagine how in the world the AI would be able to use this toon effectively, at least in arena!
  • "HEISENBURG7315;c-1133600" wrote:
    Also he doesn't apply stun to someone who hasn't gotten the speed up even if they have ability block!! So blocking first then using his basic only stuns after they get speed up first

That just soundslike an outright bug. Given the way his ability is described. @CG_Kozispoon for a release that's supposed to be hyped this much, how did it get past QA with dumb AI and outright buggy abilities?