Forum Discussion

10 years ago

NRaas Saver Mod Setting Issue

There was someone I was thinking of specifically asking about this, but I didn't want to derail any of the other topics, and if I made a topic here, it would be more likely to get solutions.

I've used the Saver mod for a while and it had been useful and worked properly for a while, so I didn't need to worry about crashing problems making me lose hours of progress. Sometime along the way though, it stopped working the same way, it still seems to autosave at the times I set, but it no longer had a prompt pop up to name the save, and it no longer rotates between saves, which hasn't been an issue yet, but I'm worried at some point something I really don't want to happen will happen, and then it will autosave over the file so I can't go back.

Anyone know why the prompt doesn't come up anymore? I can't find any information on the issue anywhere.

---

Very late edit: As some comments mention and as I eventually discovered on my own because I wasn't active on this forum anymore, it's mainly to do with the save file naming. The issue probably came up as a result of accidentally saving under a different name that doesn't work well once (like when the prompt shows up right when I'm hitting a key and renames it before I can realize the prompt is there). It can be fixed by going to Save As and inputting an actual save name.
  • Do you by chance have Awesomemod installed? Awesome does do saves without prompting. If not, Saver may save without prompts I believe if there are no other saves by the same name (I could be wrong -- it's been awhile since I've had a brand new game). So say your game was originally Sunset Valley and you have four rotating saves. I believe the first four will be done without prompting (sunset Valley1, Sunset Valley2, Sunset Valley3, Sunset Valley4), but after that, it will overwrite your old saves only when prompting. So perhaps you have some ridiculous number of saves you're keeping. (redacted because it needs redacting :) )
  • Saver does not actually save the game, at least not by design. It is programmed to display prompts and suggest save names rotationally, nothing more. And it does conflict with AwesomeMod, which is why I asked about that further up this thread.

That this players' saves are happening anyway is why this issue needs to be brought to the attention of our coders.
  • You would know better than I, obviously. And yes, you did ask about Awesomemod, I see that now. I would bet anything that he does have AM installed, though, just because that's exactly how it behaves when it comes to saving.

Anyway, started a new game and set saver at 2 minute intervals to see what happens. And yep, it behaves as you describe. I think I'll go away now :D
  • @ejoslin - Nah, don't go away completely. Input on our mods are always welcome. This is quite often how we find out that something isn't working the way we thought it was for everybody. My next guess was going to be that @Deathjohnson used to have Awesome or some other mod controlling the save process and that it was still holding onto that task even though it was no longer in their game -- core mods like Awesome can tend to do that.

And thanks for the kind words! :D
  • It definitely used to give prompts before saving. I don't know when exactly it stopped, it probably stopped giving prompts for a while before I actually noticed it. The only mod I added around the time it stopped working was NRaas ErrorTrap, so I tried deleting that, and that obviously didn't work either.

If you think a full list of mods I've used would help I can get one.
  • "DeathJohnson;13038869" wrote:
    If you think a full list of mods I've used would help I can get one.

Perhaps, but maybe we could save that level of detail for a thread at NRaas (I just noticed and approved your screen name so you can post there now). But be prepared -- the first thing that the coders are going to say is most likely something like "Saver doesn't create saves, it just throws reminders."
  • I don't mean to make a zombie out of this thread but I was wondering if anyone can point me out to the solution to this? My game is doing this now. It's auto-saving every 30 minutes, which is the set time that I've put in my Nraas Saver settings. It does not give a promt for me to save, it just does, and it does not save to another file name (there should be two different ones).

Edit: I tried changing the setting to three different saves instead of just two just to see if something else will happen but it's still autosaving. It's nice that it's doing that but i prefer to be notified and I would like it to save in different file names instead of me saving 2x every time it autosaves just to make a save file in a different name.

I also tried looking for the answer the nrass chatterbox but there were a lot of posts and I got confused and tired.
  • "PatchouliNitt;c-16596353" wrote:
    That solved it! I was saving in 123 and 456 and I guess it messed up my game. I renamed my save files and now it's fixed. Thanks!

Glad that's all it was, and I learned something new today. Didn't realize that three digit numbers for saves will produce the same result. I imagine that the mod looks for the non-numeric characters in the current save name in order to suggest the next one in sequence, and if all of the characters (not just a single one) are numbers then something unexpected happens and the save (as) triggers where it is not supposed to.