Forum Discussion

6 years ago

More Illness/Disabilities/Birth Defects?

Okay so this might be a little TOO real, so apologies if it seems like it is. I have a lot of health problems myself so sometimes I guess I can be a bit desensitized to the whole subject, so please don't be mean :/

But I think it would be cool to have more illnesses in the game, but more as a consequence of something. So for example, if a mother has a stressful pregnancy (neglects her needs etc) the baby has the chance of being born with a defect. Maybe picks up skills slower later in life, is clumsy, or something like that idk. Or can be born with a genetic illness. Also, if a sim is overweight, they can develop type 2 diabetes and has to medicate, keep an eye on blood sugar, be careful not to eat too much sweet stuff, can have hypos from low blood sugar, or get ketones when blood sugar is too high for too long (I have type 1 diabetes just for the record lol).

Idk I'd just like some more realism and it would be cool if some things could be consequential but also some could just be by pure chance. But I may just be running too far with my ideas lol.
  • "Sim_Man17;c-17070927" wrote:
    @master_in_simology and @Bettyboop55
    Definitely.
    These topics should be handled carefully and professionally. With enough consultation and knowledge on each disability, disease, and birth defect.
    Plus, just to clarify, I am not advocating for a separate game that is dedicated to this specific matter.
    I am suggesting that we have a sibling franchise that tackles this matter as well as many other mature and heavy matters with great care and humor. I most certainly agree that sometimes laughter can be the best remedy.
    So not only will this suggested sibling franchise handle Disabilities, Diseases, and Defects, but also other matters such as Religion, War, The darker side of Politics, Conflicting Opinions and Philosophy, Murder, Miscarriages, and Existential Dread.

Regarding the war thing, I always wondered why Sims offered a Millitary career option. Who exactly is the Sims enemy?

• I can see why EA/Maxis are having to worry about including disabilities. It's not just about physical disability as not all disabilities can be seen and might take the game over the Teen category. Ramps, wheelchairs and canes would be ok as they can be used for elders as a natural addition to the game.

Just think of the difficulty and time involved in designing them too. If it did come about it would probably be the last pack.

Madamelee
    Seasoned Novice
    "Simburian;c-17071122" wrote:
    I can see why EA/Maxis are having to worry about including disabilities. It's not just about physical disability as not all disabilities can be seen and might take the game over the Teen category. Ramps, wheelchairs and canes would be ok as they can be used for elders as a natural addition to the game.

Just think of the difficulty and time involved in designing them too. If it did come about it would probably be the last pack.

that would be unfair/mean to disabled players-we are always the last people to be consider of. Oh BTW they're would love for those of us who are disabled and want disabilities in the gym to talk to them on twitter.
  • Hello @stilljustme2 :) I had real difficulty remembering what the consequences were for a neglected pregnancy in TS2 but I think you are right about the predetermined trait and the child/teenager penalty for a poor toddler taming phase. Will Wright intended us to understand there would be consequences. I also remember that illness was more of a serious matter then. I had a teenager with flu and no matter what I did I still lost her.

In TS3 we have retained the predetermined trait. I would prefer to do without it and don't necessarily think it will translate well to TS4. I do like the idea of having certain foods, drinks and actions having an impact on the future sims likes and dislikes. I am not sure the emotion/trait system in TS4 is flexible enough to deal with that though or indeed mental illness. I think such deep dark issues as birth defects etc should be left for a darker version of the game. There is no way it can be lightly dismissed as amusing in the current franchise.

As I keep saying the time is not right for EA to introduce disability to the sims franchise. Your point about waiting for the ubiquitous TS5 is a good one and would fit better. If the intention is to build disability into the new game right from the start it can be in a way and at a level which is acceptable to all players. I would expect there to be on off toggle for those of us who want to escape and play with witches and fairies :)

Finally I agree the aging process in the sims is poorly portrayed and the use of walking sticks and wheelchairs should be a recognised part of the portrayal, along, sadly, with the more mental deterioration at that age.

@MadameLee representation of disability in the sims franchise should include mental illness. It is as much a factor of everyday life as walking with a walking stick. Now that Grant has been replaced things might change about using the trait system but I can't help agreeing with him that a mental illness trait does not sit well in the current trait system and rather trivializes a very serious subject. There is also the issue of how to portray those disabilities which do not have such obvious indicators such as wheelchairs, diabetes, epilepsy, sight impairment. Perhaps if EA waits to include these things in the next iteration then it can all be represented in a way which allows us all to enjoy playing and does not trivialise or cause offence. I want to see a more inclusive game but I want it done properly, with care and consideration.
  • If it were possible a modder might have tried it so it might be worth looking on mod sites but I don't know of any myself. It might be too hard to do.

I tend to agree with @Pamtastic72. I have a life changing condition but not a physical one and come to the game to escape reality and enjoy Sims positive vibes.
  • @MadameLee yes I am sure. He has been replaced as senior producer and is now working on some kind of communications project to do with TS4. It happened around Easter time and it was SimGuru Lyndsay who announced it on Twitter. I have not seen anything to the contrary since then and it is unlikely such a senior member of the team as SimGuruLyndsay would say it if there was any debate about it happening.

So sorry OP for taking the thread off topic :)