Forum Discussion

6 years ago

A Positive Thread of Comparison and Nostalgia

Hey all!

So I have been out of the loop for some time, and I would like to reconnect a bit more with the community, so I thought this might be some fun nostalgia and discussion. Whilst I don't always play the sims 4, often returning to previous games for other features. I thought it would be interesting to list some of the previous sims games (pc, console or mobile), and the features you (personally) really loved and what you think the sims 4 has improved upon. I'll start..

Sims 1:

• Everything about makin magic, duels and roller coasters and pet dragons.
  • Burglars
  • Phone calls saying "you have won a prize" and pranks!
  • The wholesome look of the neighbourhood (with sooo many lots)

Sims 2

• roommates and apartments.
  • private schools
  • memories

Sims 3

• story progression,
  • create a world!! (so much creative freedom)
  • Open world
  • Cemeteries! The creepier the better.

Sims 1 (ps2)
  • I kinda liked the "get a life mode", a short storyline with tasks.

Sims Urbz
  • Them fabulous clothes and subcultures

Finally Sims 4

• Everything about Build mode, Build mode in Sims 4 is truly a wonderful experience.
  • Character interaction, Sims emotions. (I feel this is a major step up)
  • The stylised look of the worlds maps.
  • edit a sim, it is very smooth and flexible.

I'd like to see what others think, I want to keep this positive, as I think all of the games have merits in their own way.
  • Sims 1

-Superstar...it really felt like you were a celebrity with the bus tours and star ranking. I worked really hard to maintain my number 1 spot! I also liked that the auditions were kind of hard and you had to figure out the pattern.
    -The build mode music! I don't know if it is just nostalgia but it just makes me happy to hear

Sims 2
    -Attraction system. I would love making two sims I thought would have three lightening bolts but then one was more attracted to someone else. It was kind of cool that it worked with traits but some things couldn't be explained.
    -Seasons. The world that came with seasons was just so cozy. I also liked the aspect that it emphasized the different seasons as times to do different things (I think fall helped with career, spring with romance, etc.)
    -Memories were always fun. It felt like you were recording your sims life. I rely on a lot of imagination for my storylines in 3/4
    -The premade sims just seemed to have more drama associated. The game made it so these storylines would be triggered when you started to play the households so it felt like they were already established in their story
    -Private school headmaster visit
    -The bon voyage expansion pack really made it feel like you were on a tropical vacation with your sims. It was so romantic and I loved their tans.
    -Cars
    -Teenager interaction

Sims 3
    -Being able to invest in local business. It really made you feel like your rich sims could take over the town
    -The different worlds had really different vibes and I liked that you could pick which neighborhoods to buy and download. Even the sims who lived there were different from other places. The Italian one was amazing. Roaring heights was really awesome too. I feel like they hit peak creativity with making immersive worlds.
    -The inclusion of werewolves and fairies on top of the standard vamps and witches was really fun.
    -Season's associated festivals. I loved taking my sims on family trips to the festival squares
    -Open world was pretty cool
    -I liked rabbit holes
    -Slow dancing (ditto sims 2)

Sims 4
    -I would feel extremely limited if I didn't have the total face and body customization
    -The clothing is really nice. It took awhile, but it is the most modern and pretty clothing.
    -The worlds are so pretty. While it's not completely open world, you can still walk around your neighborhood which is a nice compromise
  • I barely remember The Sims and Sims 2 - too long ago. Back in those days, hard drive space was at a premium, so I didn't keep them installed when the next version came out.

Sims 3: floor babies! I can't believe no one else has mentioned them!