Forum Discussion

Hamsysincy
Seasoned Newcomer
17 hours ago

Actual Maximum Sim Count in a game?

Hi all,

I guess I start this thread because I am really not sure what is the actual maximum sim count a game can have as of now? Perhaps a simguru can enlighten me?

So, I set my game to Unlimited sim count with 385 active sims under My Households and several hundreds (between 200 to 300) more under Other Households.  My active households are all over the sim world.

Recently I notice that new townies no longer spawn and if they do, they will be removed from the game on the next sim day.

So these are the 2 questions:

1, Does anyone know what is the actual maximum sim count for unlimited? From what I read in forums the number range between 500 to 800 but I am not really sure.

2. Does the game remove townies if the sim count exceed the limit?

BissenNess
    Seasoned Hotshot

Question 2: I know the game culls townies if you exceed your specified limit (mine's usually 200). It's likely that the same thing happens if you exceed your unofficial limit when you set it to unlimited. 

I can't answer question 1, but it's possible that there isn't one limit that applies to all saves for all players. Other factors affecting the save might cause the unofficial limit to be higher or lower.

Hamsysincy
      Seasoned Newcomer

For Question 2, i am not sure what is my sim count under Other Households. There is no way to verify them.

That said, if you are right about the limit 200 then I think it's time for Devs to update the max sim count as Sims 4 is expected to have more contents and expansion packs. It is ridiculous to stick to old limits while the game have ~20 worlds (or somewhere there)

**Btw I have been playing Sims 4 since 2014 and the sims limit frustrates me.

EgonVM
    Seasoned Ace

Interesting question.

There is an hidden actual sim limit that counts all sims. It increases after each DLC release, so last I heard of it during Cats and Dogs time, it was somewhere over 800 Now it's definitely over 2,000...

The sim limit you see on Manage Households only counts sims you have in My Households section. These sims will not be culled if the actual limit is full. The game culls sims in Other Households section, housed or not. In addition, if a friend is about to be culled, they'll call your sim and tell them they're going off-the-grid and will be thinking about your sim as they're foraging through the forest. More about culling here.

Unlimited should really be unlimited. But the way you are telling that new townies generated immediately get culled the next day is... interesting... 385 should be far from the limit (and even I at about 1,000 sims have Other Households)... How many households do you have in Other Households section?

• My sim count is about 750, it probably includes horses and pets. I never had a played house culled, but I would not know if NPCs are no longer around. I have enough not-played own sims to cover up for them.

I'm pretty sure that device specs will have a word in this. My computer is low-end but I think it helps that my driver has 2-300 GB free space. Best advice, back up regularly :)

Aramezra
      Rising Rookie

I have allways 150 sims, not maximum 200, but normally I only have, parents, maybe grandparents, if I can bother, and about three children, but now with Grim-event I will get five or more children. Does anyone know if social-services can take your children away?