Forum Discussion

11 months ago

Aren't door knobs supposed to be on the right hand side of entry doors?

When you enter a building from the outside isn't the door knob supposed to be on the right hand side of the door? I honestly have never thought about this in game before but tonight I noticed all my doors on my houses have the knob on the left hand side? What? Is this a glitch or a mistake or what? I think I remember in some of the earlier Sims games you could jiggle the door back and forth and the knobs would move back and forth (if you had enough room on the wall to adjust it) but I couldn't get that to work in Sims 4.
  • It doesn’t matter in game like it does IRL. But I try to hang the doors in a sensible direction. In my last apartment there were 2 cabinets that opened into the room instead of flat against the wall, and someone rehung the bedroom door so that it would open against the wall but then it blocked the light switch. At least our sims don’t have to deal with inconveniences like that.
  • We replaced our front door this year and were given the option to get a version that hung right or left.
  • I have both configurations for doors that lead outside irl and I think it just depends on what is in front of the door or behind the door

also like sometimes you have to alternate which way door opens/which side has knob cause otherwise you'd get stuck in corner

you can turn around most of the doors in the game to have knob either side but it will also affect if the door opens in or outwards and some of the doors have different look inside and outside so it'd look silly
  • It's about 50/50 here. I noticed a lot of exterior doors riding to work today after reading this question :)

If I were to guess, it would have to do with the flow of traffic inside when the door is open-- preferring for the open door not to block a hallway or other door for example.
  • I have both at my house.

• Front Door = Knob on Left
    • My Bedroom Door = Knob on Left
    • Daughter's Bedroom = Knob on Right
    • Bathroom Door = Knob on Left
    • Back Door = Knob on Left
    • Basement Door from Kitchen = Knob on Right
    • Outside Basement Door = Knob on Right
    • Outside Garage Side Door = Knob on Right
  • Actually all doors have both. The door knob is always on the left on one side and on the right on the other as there is typically only one door knob that is on both sides. My front door knob is on the left on the exterior and on the right on the interior. My back door is the opposite.
  • The beauty about Sims is that you can use either. Depends what's on the other side of the door. I prefer front doors to open inwards, but I've come across many in real life that don't. For internal doors it purely depends if there is room for my Sim to enter a room or not.
  • It depends on the builder's or owner's preferences. There are no hard and fast rules. Also aesthetics and layout play key roles. Turn it the way you want.
  • I'm pretty sure it depends on which side of the door you're facing. By default, it appears on the left from outside the room, but on the right when viewed from inside the room. Like others said, you can flip the doors around, but this also makes the doors open outside the room not inside it. But with doors, it's important that they allow for easy traffic, so the way they open depends on the layout of the house. Also, for fire safety and easy evacuation, doors in public places are supposed to open to the outside.