Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Cas.Fulleditmode on, but can't make Gunther & Cornelia Mortimer's Parents, etc.

I am in the unfortunate position of having to re-connect family trees (which as we know, are already limited to begin with) because there was an issue in my Save File that I was building, so I'm moving the families & their extended families over to a new Save File. I have cas.fulleditmode on by default, due to MCCC. In my previous save, the Goths/Goth Sr./Bachelor/Crumplebottom families were all connected, so I assumed I'd be able to do so again.

In the new Save File, I was able to connect the main Goth family (Mortimer, Bella, Cassandra & Alexander) to Bella's extended family (Simis, Jocasta & Michael) with no problem, and then I split them into 2 separate households. But I've encountered an issue: when I try to connect the Goth Sr. household to the Goths, I do not have the ability to do so. For example, I cannot make Mortimer Gunther's son, nor can I make Gunther Mortimer's father; the only option that comes up is fiance (I would attach photos, but I don't have a Photobucket account, or anything similar).

Why was I able to connect Simis & Jocasta (both elders) as Bella's parents, and her children's grandparents, but I cannot connect Gunther & Cornelia (also both elders) as Mortimer's parents, and the grandparents of Cassandra & Alexander?
And why was I able to make Michael Bachelor the uncle of Cassandra & Alexander, but now I can't make Agnes & Frida Mortimer's aunts, either?

Like I said, cas.fulleditmode is on by default and I don't understand why there is an issue, when everyone was able to be connected in the previous Save File. And I don't understand why I can connect Bella's family without issue, but not Mortimer's family.

If anyone has any insight on how to get the game to cooperate again, please let me know!

Thanks.
    medlar65
    Rising Rookie
    Hi
    I’ve had that issue. What I had to do was completely delete the relationships between all the family members so they were all strangers to each other. Then I reset each family members relationship with each other using Relationships - Add relationship with sim on lot. You might need to cheat them as friends first and for couple relationships you might need to cheat them as friends and lovers first before adding relationship with sim on lot. There was one time this did not work and I ended up having to clear their relationships with all other sims before it would take.
  • Okay, so it has been quite an adventure the past few days, figuring this out. I got some help over at EA Help Forums, too. I'm sharing the solution that seemed to work for me, in case anyone is looking for how to solve this in the future, too.

The game was creating "phantom parents" for Mortimer - literally two greyed-out pictures on the family tree, taking up the places where I wanted Cornelia & Gunther to go. So I made sure all relationships between my Sims were utterly destroyed, by saving each of the 15 separate sims on their own to my library (except Cassandra & Alexander, who I saved together). I was also told I could try to "destroy relationships" via MCCC, but I decided to try this first.

I created a brand new save, I planned out a list of the best way to add them back together, so that the game would hopefully not have the opportunity to create any "phantom parents" which basically meant starting from the top in each group (Elders) all the way to the children. If the elders had phantom parents, that would be okay, because I could just pretend they were the predeceased Victor or Gretle Goth, etc. It was a very long process, and I kept notes the whole way through, just to keep track of what I was doing.

Then another bug occurred! Everyone added from my library brought in negative instead of positive funds! I was SO frustrated. And freerealestate wouldn't work, nor any money cheat, because the money cheats required me to move them to a lot first, which of course, I could not do with negative funds. So I did some searching - turns out this is a long-term bug, possibly started from around the time of Discover University and never fixed. So I picked my "starter sim" that I used to start the new save, who was already living in an apartment; I cheated up her funds substantially, then I kept adding families to her household temporarily and splitting the money between them. Needless to say, it was a lot. I encountered two bugs in fixing this issue, but I think I figured it out (knock on wood) thanks to the online help I received.

I have my families connected, but split into separate households now. I hope if anyone finds this in the future, that this information will help them troubleshoot.

Thanks!
    SheriSim
    Rising Adventurer
    Might it have something to do with Mortimer being in a similar age group to his parents? You might try aging Mortimer down and then see if it works.

I too make extended families and break them off, usually from making a nuclear family snd then adding grandparents, bothers and sisters etc. ( without using full edit mode ). And I have noticed in some instances if the parent and child are in the same age group it won’t work.

Also with Agnes (from country living)…. Isn’t the one in game made to be immortal and non playable? I thought I read something about that.

I hope someone can help you make it work,
  • Hi, if what pj9871 suggests doesn't do it, I would check with those on the MCCC help thread in this forum. @Bonxie is quite a troubleshooter and very helpful.
  • Hi @SheriSim57 / @pj9871 / @GalacticGal Thank you for all responding.

I have both Bella & Mortimer in the Young Adult category, and their respective sets of parents as Elders. I think that should be enough distance to set them as children of their parents, as it worked once before. This time around, I could connect YA Bella to her Elder parents, but not YA Mortimer to his Elder parents.

I should have explained better when I mentioned Agnes. I am not connecting the pre-made Agnes from HOB. I made my own, playable Agnes, modelled after her appearance in Sims 3.

It's both simultaneously comforting & frustrating to learn that others have had this issue, too. As far as deleting pre-existing relationships before re-connecting them, it was my understanding that when you download or redownload a family from your library or the gallery, the only relationships that the game remembers are within that household - it will not remember extended family, saved separately. So my main Goth family (Mortimer, Bella, and children) should only know their relationships with each other, and not the extended Bachelors, Goths, etc. So by destroying the pre-existing relationships first before re-connecting them, does that mean I should also remove the pre-existing relationship between Mortimer & Bella, and then with their children, too, and then reconnect them?

I will try to see if I can delete the main Goth families ties to each other first. The problem is, even with cas.fulleditmode on, the option to change the relations of wife, husband, children is completley greyed out. And that's just from redownloading them from my library. So I don't really know how successful I'll be.

@pj9871 If I understand correctly, it sounds like you've had success adding relationships through live mode? When you do that, do the Sims all show up on the family tree in game, or no?

I guess this issue would make more sense to me if I also had been unable to connect Bella to her parents and brother, too; I just don't understand why I can connect 50% of the extended relatives, but not the other 50%. But this is The Sims 4, and we all know it often does not make sense!

Thanks, everyone, for commenting. I'll go give it a try again now.
  • I had something similar, it turned out it's working only one way. I think the played sim must be active in CAS. If the new sim is active you can't add relation to a sim who was already played.

(Didn't read this entire thread)