Forum Discussion

EgonVM
Seasoned Ace
7 months ago

EgonVM's Ultimate NPC Making Guide

With the access to the tuning files, I present to you, my ultimate project/guide:

NPC Making Guide

Basically, if you ever wanted to make custom NPC sims, good news is that most of them can be done without any mods. The main cheats you are going to require are those:
testingcheats on
traits.equip_trait
careers.add_career

In the guide, there are 5 types of "difficulties" I'm going to use (and emojis I'm using with it):

• 🔷Played-Friendly - These ones, usually traits, can not only also be taken from sims the Played Households, switching to the household the sim is in won't make them lose their NPC status.
  • 📝Simply Assign a Career/Trait - These will lose their NPC status when you play with them. The usual way of making those is by making these sims, equipping them with the required traits and/or careers, then evicting them.
  • 🏙Location-Based Career - Unfortunately, this is where the career location matters, and it is the venue they'll be working at. As to my knowledge, there isn't any way to set a career location to a sim without mods, the best bet here is to modify sims already working there or make one of the custom sim unplayed and hope they'll appear in that role.
  • 🔻Must Never Ever Be Played - You may assign a required career and/or trait, but they'll won't appear in the role until you set the household to be unplayed.
  • 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Out of Control - Welp, these sims are chosen randomly from a broad selection. No way to influence the game to pick the sim you want...

And in addition, these emojis represent the following:
    • ✅️ Must have, meaning that your sim must have that skill, trait, career etc to appear in this role.
    • 🟡 Optional, meaning that your sim can have it for the game to consider them more for the role, but they don't need to have it. Sometimes used in sub-types.
    • ❌️ Mustn't have, meaning if your sim has the skill, trait, career etc, the game will never place them in the role even when all other conditions are met.
    • Splits into sub-types, meaning that for the sim to appear in the role, they must meet at least one of the requirements in the following list below for the game to consider them.

In addition, the sims with these hidden traits will be excluded from most of the filters:
    Spoiler
    • Grim Reaper
    • Challenge Event NPC (Jasmine Holiday for example)
    • Alien Pollinator
    • Police Station Criminals (the ones in jail)
    • Service Skeletons
    • Temple Skeletons
    • Scarecrows
    • Flower Bunny
    • Baby Ariel
    • Night Wraith
    • Sage of Mischief Magic
    • Sage of Practical Magic
    • Sage of Untamed Magic
    • University Professor NPCs
    • Batuu NPCs
    • Yamachan
    • Tempearance
    • Greg the Werewolf
    • Mysterious Rancher
    • Horse Trainer

In addition, ghosts and sims that have work to do are also usually excluded.

Service - These sims are there to do something (like cleaning or repairing or other task) and are either hired or arrive on their.
    Background - These sims are given a special task to liven the place up or are just special walk-bys.

I've also decided to bring out templates too. These are not important when making NPC sims, but are rather some interesting side-info on how sims are generated for the role by the game.

The list for each pack will also be under spoiler. There will also be two lists under spoilers for service sims and background sims.
    Without further ado, here's the list of NPCs and what traits and/or careers they need (Under Spoilers and in separate posts, the list will be so long):
    • The new thread replacing this one is now completed. See it here!

In the new thread, I have done it differently. Instead of spoilers within spoilers, I use sub-post system instead (as posts can be collapsed). Each entry is a separate post and I have included links to quickly jump to the entry of your interest. I have also included a few more extra things too there.

Enjoy! This thread won't be updated unfortunately, so follow the new thread please.